Dehumidifier won't stop!

Old 06-26-08, 01:58 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifier won't stop!

My Maytag dehumidifier won't stop regardless of the setting I put it on. It has a digital display for the preferred humidity and setting it anywhere from 70-40% has no effect. It runs nonstop.

Water does not get collected in the bin either. After letting it run for over 24 hours, I switched it off and immediately heard cracking sound. Checking the bin a day later shows it about a quarter full of water.

My suspicion is that the switch hooked up to the humidity sensor does not work so compressor keeps running until the coils are caked in ice and are basically ineffective.

Calling Maytag is uselss because the message I get prior to a long wait is that it was made by Fedders who have filed for Ch. 11 so any service they can provide is out of their own good heart.

I have cleaned the filter but stopped short of opening anything else up.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-08, 07:56 PM
H
Update...

I finally had the time to open the case of the dehumidifier and noticed the element in the front of the unit was caked in ice about 1" thick. The element in the rear of the dehumidifier was clear.

I cleaned as much of it as I could short of taking the unit apart. Made sure all the ice had melted and restarted the unit.

Sure enough, the unit ran non-stop and the element in front began to ice up. After I let it run for several hours, I noticed the humidistat in the room was at 55% although the reading in the dehumidier showed it stuck at 65%. Moving the setting past 65% stops the unit. But once it restarts, it won't stop even if the humidity drops below 65%. I am stumped.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Is it time to chuck this?

Old 07-08-08, 09:35 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the room temperature at floor level where unit is located? When warm, humid air contacts cold surface, it condenses. This is what is collected by the dehumidifier. If evaporator is too cool, then it will frost over and dehumidification can't take place. The unit will run constantly. Most dehumidifiers are not designed to run below 65-70 degrees. There are basement dehumidifiers available that can handle cooler temps. Poor air flow can cause problems. Check filter, evaporator, and filter for clogs. Running a fan in the area to improve air circulation can also be helpful so warmer air currents above floor level get circulated to floor level. Elevating dehumidifier can be helpful as well in order to get it above the cooler floor temps. Don't run dehumidifier when frosted up, as this can damage compressor.

Old 07-08-08, 10:23 AM
H
The basement air conditioner was running and it was around 70F. However, the same problem existed when the a/c was off and the temp was in the 80's.

The filter was indeed clogged when I first noticed the problem. It is clean now.

Thank you. I've shut it down for now. I will see how it behaves when it is warmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: