Sparks inside microwave

Old 10-11-08, 05:01 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sparks inside microwave

I have a Sharp Carousel Microwave; model R-2A48. When I turn it on sparks and fire shoot out of a panel on the inside of the microwave and there are burn marks inside and around that panel. Is ths something that can be fixed or does the microwave need to be replaced?

Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 10:11 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
electrical arcing in a microwave is due to some electrically conductive material being subjected to the microwaves. This could be a metal utensil, the gold rim on a plate or cup or very charred food (carbon).

I would clean the oven thoroughly. If this does not stop the arcing, there is most likely something conductive behind the shield. I would suggest not removing it and just replace the oven.

Old 10-12-08, 07:01 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

I think I found the problem. On this brand of microwave there is a thing that looks like cardboard and it's about the size of a playing card inside the oven in the upper back corner, rightside. When I take that out the microwave works fine. Looking online at a manual it looks like it's called a waveguide cover. From what I was reading if it gets to dirty from grease or whatever it could cause sparking. I ordered another on for $17 plus shipping. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Old 10-12-08, 08:42 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
that was the thing I was referring to. I wasn't aware they sold replacements for them. They are on every microwave I have seen.

Good thing to know.