Help! Sunbeam Mixmaster Model 11 rheostat (sp?) quit

Old 07-12-09, 07:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Sunbeam Mixmaster Model 11 rheostat (sp?) quit

i've got a model 11 ('55-'56) mixmaster that has worked beautifully for the almost 20 yrs i've had it.. but today the 'speed' control quit - it's got one speed - ON. if it's plugged in, it's on full speed.

can anyone give me directions or a website that can explain how to handle this? i'm heartbroken - i use this mixer about every 3 weeks to make one thing or another, and just love it's durability and dependability. however, poofing the ingredients all over the kitchen has knocked the shine off the relationship

any help would be wonderful!

Old 07-14-09, 12:15 PM
D
Try here:

Sunbeam Mixmaster Governor Capacitor - Brand New!

That said, don't be fooled by the reliability of the old Sunbeams thinking that the ones they sell today are just as good. Not so! For a new one, shop for a special on Kitchenaids.

Old 07-14-09, 12:54 PM
can i do it myself?

yer my heee-ro.. thanks! never in a million would i have figured it out..

next ?? - should i hire someone to replace or do you think i'd not explode my house/mixer if i replaced it myself? (could a electrical neophyte do it respectibly?)

thanks again!
jude

Old 07-14-09, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It shouldn't be that big a deal..but an old timey appliance repair store could do it in no time.

My Mom had an old Sunbeam (avocado green and black) that lasted over 40 years. Try that with anything now.

Old 07-14-09, 03:35 PM
D
I agree with GG, if you're a novice it's best to pay someone. My sister C had a Sunbeam for many years that was a hand me down from our grandmother. It was still working fine when she gave it away. We recently went to get a Sunbeam for my other sis D as a b-day gift. Sis C was shocked at the reviews. We sent D the same model Kitchenaid that C has now.

Old 07-14-09, 08:53 PM
thanks, y'all

thanks so much for the opinions, the link to the capacitor and the reviews. i don't wnat to replace this - i'd bet w/ care it would last nicely for a decade(s) to come.. right next to my '55-6 GE 'hospital fan' that works like a charm, old woven cord and all.

i'll look up a small appliance repair shop.. anyone make suggestions as to the type/qualifications a shop might need to have? or should anyone that works on 'stuff' be sufficient?

thanks for all your help! priceless!!

jude

Old 07-16-09, 02:59 PM
D
I imagine an electric motor shop could do it. Somewhere I've got a photo floating around of a 1955 Hotpoint stainless steel fridge. We had a lady on the appliance forum not too long ago with a 1959 wall oven in her kitchen. Everything was built differently back then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: