Question About Hard to Find Microwave Fuse

Old 07-17-09, 02:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question About Hard to Find Microwave Fuse

I have an inexpensive microwave that I bought for my son's dorm room a year ago. It's a Galanz brand with 850 watts. I've been all over town including electrical supply houses and no one has, or can even order, the size fuse it uses. It uses a mini ceramic 15 Amp 250 Volt fuse. Bussman does not make this in a mini; however you can find it in the longer fuse (1.25 inches). Since this is a cheap microwave and I wouldn't fret if I ruined it, would it be OK to simply wrap the fuse in tin foil? If anyone knows where I could find this fuse, I'll order one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-09, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I hope you are joking about the tin foil!

If you are unable to get the fuse at a regular supplier you would need to order one from whoever is the parts dealer for that brand.
It is the only thing that will prevent your microwave from catching fire if something inside fails.

Before you replace the fuse however you need to first make a proper diagnosis.
The fuse in a microwave is sometimes used as a fail safe for a mechanical problem.
I know nothing about the microwave you have but on a Panasonic there is a one time switch that will trip and blow the fuse if the door is close to opening when on.
On these ovens you need to replace the door switch along with the fuse.

Microwave ovens are cheap.................To keep it simple and safe I would just junk it.

Old 07-17-09, 03:26 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Greg is correct that the fuse may be just the tail of your problem and NO foil please.

Search on a "GDC fuse" that sounds like the size you are looking for (5mmx20mm). The GDC is a small slow blow fuse that goes up to 15 amps. Their GDA is their ceramic, but I don't see it in that high of a current rating. Make sure you are reading the rating correctly and it is not 1.5 amps.

Don't do anything that isn't safe.

Bud

Old 07-18-09, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. It looks like the verbiage on the fuse is "SF15H250V". What would the "H" mean? At least it looks like an "H" and not and "A", which is what I was expecting.

The Galanz website is pretty useless. I read a wikipedia definition on this company and it said that they produce 40% of the worlds microwaves. If that's true, they must create ovens under several brand names.

Thanks

Old 07-18-09, 06:21 PM
is this printed on the ceramic? is there anything stamped into the outer band of the end caps? is there anything printed on the circuit board?

Bud

Old 07-18-09, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
look here: All Glass / Ceramic Fuse inventory it sounds like the rating you are looking for but I don't see a size. You may try giving them a call under their contact page.

You could also check these guys out: http://www.powerfuse.com/ They look like they have quite the inventory.

Old 07-19-09, 08:33 AM
Nothing is written on the white ceramic. One end cap has the "SF15H250V". The other end cap has what appears to be a logo. It looks like a backwards letter "R" attached to the letter "U".

This same logo is written on the circuit board right above the fuse holder. Here the logo is followed by "94V-0". To the side of the fuse holder are "250V15A".

Do you know what company uses this logo. The "94V-0" may be an item number for the fuse to use.

The websites look promising. The POWERFUSE website has their electronic fuses separated by CLASS. What CLASS would this fall into?

Thanks Again.

Old 07-19-09, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Bud suggested it is a "GDC" fuse. I'm not sure if that is a class or not. I would give Powerfuse a call Monday. They do have a 1-800 number. I'm willing to bet they will be able to get you the fuse you need. Only bad part is they may have a minimum order so you may end up paying $10 for the fuse. In which case order a few to keep on hand.

Old 07-19-09, 10:55 AM
The GDC is a glass fuse, but ceramic is not necessary for circuit protection, more for mechanical strength and a higher voltage rating. I suspect this is on a low voltage circuit as 15 amps on the line would be way overkill.

The GDC is available in 15 amps where many other substitutes don't go that high. I think 5 or 10 amps is the highest I have or I would send you one.

This is one of the reasons I stopped fixing everything that walked in the door, no support from the mfg.

Good Luck
Bud

Old 07-21-09, 04:24 PM
I spoke with a rep from Powerfuse.com. He said that the Chinese were notorious about using oddball fuses so that consumers will buy another microwave instead of replacing the fuses. He actually had a European fuse that would match what I had, but it was $20 (+ shipping) for a box. He said:

A. you don't need ceramic
B. you don't need 'slow blow' for a microwave
C. you don't need 15 amps. Microwaves don't require that many amps.

He said to just buy the highest amperage I could find locally keeping with the 250 volts. I picked up a 6.3 amp 250 volt fuse at Radio Shack last night. I ran the microwave at 50% for 2 minutes, then at 100% for 3 minutes. No problems were encountered.

I believe I'm good to go and I have 3 spare fuses to boot. I appreciate your help on this.

Sam