kirby vacuum roller brush

Old 09-13-09, 09:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kirby vacuum roller brush

Hope in right area here! Older Kirby vacuum roller brush (AKA Beater brush) just very difficult to turn and went through a belt (rubber belt to turn it). Have taken it out of the unit, of course, and cleaned it as best I can.

CAN I take that thing apart? I haven't been able to find a way into it and trying WD-40 on both ends has given no relief on whatever is binding it and keeping it from spinning.

Homejim

Old 09-19-09, 09:44 AM
B
The plastic caps on the ends come off and there you'll find the bearings. Make sure the bearings turn freely.
Also, check for hair, string, carpet threads binding at the end between the wooden area and the end caps/bearings. I always find that kind of stuff in mine, use a sharp knife or scissors to cut away and remove as much as possible.
If the bearings don't turn find your nearest vacuum repair center that carries kirby beater/brushes. The bearing don't come off.

Old 09-20-09, 10:00 AM
M
This may sound crazy but I've found you can pack the bearings with a small dab of bearing grease. If you wait until the bearings seize it's probably too late. I do this whenever I change the bag. I remove the roller, clean it up, force a tiny bit of grease into the bearings and inspect the belt. Only takes a few minutes and seems to prolong the life of the roller brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: