Voltage on microwave fuse: 125v vs 250v?

Old 09-20-09, 02:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Voltage on microwave fuse: 125v vs 250v?

tldr; can I replace a 15A125V fuse with a 15A250V fuse in a microwave?

My microwave suddenly stopped working after opening the door in a less-than-careful way. It was not cooking at the time. Researching on the internet leads me to believe that I tripped the safety mechanism on the door and caused it to blow the fuse.

The fuse (ceramic canister) was in-line with the electrical cord immediately after entering the microwave's housing. It is stamped as "15A125V." The circuit diagram inside the housing indicates that there is only that one fuse.

I have searched local hardware stores (6 in total) and I cannot find any 125V canister fuses. I have only been able to find "microwave fuses" stamped as 15A250V. I did find one package of fuses labeled as 15A125V, but the fuses inside were stamped 15A250V.

My question is: can I replace the 15A125V fuse with a 15A250V fuse? I really don't understand why all the fuses sold here are 250V since our domestic electricity is 120V. Are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-09, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

You can readily use a fuse of a higher voltage rating at a lower voltage and stocking higher rated fuses would reduce inventory carried.
It is also common to see 240 volt rated fuses in appliances because the device is designed to work in NA and overseas where the higher voltage is in common use.

Be aware that on some microwave ovens there is a special interlock switch that if the door mechanism malfunctions a switch in the door will trip and blow the fuse to prevent microwave leakage.
If this occurs the switch is a one use device and will have to be replace and the door adjusted or fixed so it doesn't trip again.

This setup is used on Panasonic ovens but I am unsure of others.

Old 01-21-14, 08:56 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
panasonic genius nn-sn968b

Hi Greg, I have read some of the threads in relation to the Panasonic internal fuse blowing, and you remarking on the door switches. You mention them as being a 1 time thing. Does that mean they are no good after the internal fuse blows? I have replaced the ceramic fuse rated for the microwave twice, and it seems to stop working every time I open the door. I did notice the label on top of the microwave stating that if the internal fuse blows that a list of parts have to be replaced as well and it gives the part numbers. Is this true? Can I check the switches with a volt meter for continuity?, or is it a 1 time switch and needs replacing regardless. Like I say, once replacing the fuse, everything powers up fine, and I can run the microwave for about a day depending on the usage, but within a day, the fuse will blow. I have checked the voltage coming from the outlet and it is dedicated at 120 volts. Please help, I don't want to have to by a new Microwave if the cost of repair is a few switches. Thanks in advance, Viper

Old 01-21-14, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
The switch will not be the problem.
The fuse blowing indicates a problem bigger than the switch.

The price of microwave ovens theses days makes repairing them a bad investment.