Vacuum cleaner cords (generally) (or Tristar in this case..)

Old 01-25-10, 07:31 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Vacuum cleaner cords (generally) (or Tristar in this case..)

Our ~15yr old Tristar needed a new cord a few yrs back, which I replaced with some 16/3 decent quality extension cord (although you only need /2 as there is no ground connection in the vac housing).
This cord only lasted 2 yrs, and it was twisted all to crap and starting to split.
I hesitate to replace it with the same type cord. Why did the oem cord last a good 10 yrs+.

Are vac cleaner cords that much different ?

---
ps in case someone googles here, cord changing for a circa mid 90's Tri-Star.. changing out the cord w/o going with an oem part isnt too hard. Unscrew the perimeter screws on the bottom of the unit, separate the shells. cut the cord and remove it from the unit..cut the cord on each side of the black retention block, and drill/pry out the wires. slide the new cord thru the block (hardest part of the job).. connect internally with approved connectors.

Old 02-15-10, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveC72
Our ~15yr old Tristar needed a new cord a few yrs back, which I replaced with some 16/3 decent quality extension cord (although you only need /2 as there is no ground connection in the vac housing).
This cord only lasted 2 yrs, and it was twisted all to crap and starting to split.
I hesitate to replace it with the same type cord. Why did the oem cord last a good 10 yrs+.

Are vac cleaner cords that much different ?

---
ps in case someone googles here, cord changing for a circa mid 90's Tri-Star.. changing out the cord w/o going with an oem part isnt too hard. Unscrew the perimeter screws on the bottom of the unit, separate the shells. cut the cord and remove it from the unit..cut the cord on each side of the black retention block, and drill/pry out the wires. slide the new cord thru the block (hardest part of the job).. connect internally with approved connectors.
tho vacuum cleaner cord is only 18-2 its meant to withstand the high amperage and stress of use and heat... my guess is your extension cord twisted up from the heat stress and over flexing

you can buy vac wire by the foot at a hardware or big box store

Old 02-15-10, 03:19 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply

I found some 18/2 at the hw store that mentioned vac cleaners in its usage table.. I noticed its full of ribs (lengthwise), maybe the ribbing helps with the twists and turns.
I sure would like to know how a vac cord can get tangled so wildly after only a few uses.. its like someone tied a mad dog to it for the afternoon.. lol

Old 02-15-10, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by DaveC72
Thanks for the reply

I sure would like to know how a vac cord can get tangled so wildly after only a few uses.. its like someone tied a mad dog to it for the afternoon.. lol
the heating and cooling of the insulation and the winding it up when it warm

Old 02-16-10, 01:03 AM
A
Anyways, you can buy vac wire by the foot at a hardware.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: