Kenmore Vacuum is all wet

Old 12-13-00, 05:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi, I accidentally vacuumed up water from under our Christmas tree (enough that it came out the back, the tree stand has a hole in it) anyhow I want to take it apart to dry it out and I cannot find a way in to the motor part. There are no visible screws or clips and I do not really want to try and pry it apart as I believe there has to be a way, I just can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike

Old 12-15-00, 03:59 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Evening. tayls:

I think you are dead in the water with this request. First, the Kenmore name appears on someone else's vacuum cleaner and I am not not sure who makes vacuum cleaners for Sears these days.

Second, no one posts information on the web on specific models of anything. In order to work on these things, someone has to do a one-on-one with them. I'm a fair mechanic and can look at a piece of equipment, determine what I need, and disassemble the critter in a few minutes. But, I can't see your machine to assist you.

Suggest you take it an appliance mechanic and let them have a look at it.

Smokey

Old 12-22-00, 05:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Smokey and others,

Not sure if you are aware if Sears has online parts breakdwowns for their stuff. Hardly a service manual, but an exploded view is worth a 1000 bucks in my book . At least you have some idea how it comes apart.

Original poster: Make sure you are sure you have all of the moisture out of this thing. Moisture and electricity do not mix!!!!

Here is the Sears link: http://www3.sears.com/

Good luck!

Old 01-05-01, 09:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm assuming that you're speaking of a Kenmore canister vac. If it's anything like mine you can separate the cover at the rubber "belt line" around the middle of the unit! Gently pry out the front corners of the rear "motor cover" and it will lift up and come off! Also a good time to clean the dust and dirt you'll find there!
good luck!

Old 01-06-01, 11:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking The "Missing link " :)

Joe,
Thanks for your including the web site for the Sears parts! That is one thing that will help me immensely when I have to repair a sears product and of course the customer doesn't have the manual.

thanks again
John Meyers
Johnboy555

-------e-mail from John to me...

Hey John. No problem. Glad it's of use, and it does help.

I have a 22 year old Sears door opener (which actually is made by Chamberlain if you look inside). For some years, I was wondering why the light didn't work. Changed the bulbs, hmmm, nothing.

I then remembered back in the 80's that my dad had changed a contact switch for the lights that he ordered from Sears....I went to try and find the manual for it to get the model #, couldn't find it (I wound up finding it later on in a cabinet...now it's filed with the rest of the books ).

I got the model # off the unit and called Sears. It took the lady 20 minutes to find the part in their computer. The part was called a "contact" rather than a switch and was throwing her off. Had I had that link I sent you, I would have been able to furnish her with the part # and been off the phone in 5 minutes . I put the part in, and "Let there be light". I found up fixing my grandparents, my uncles, and my next door neighbors...all had the same problem with the burned switch. It was a 9 dollar part.

I've checked parts for stuff 20, 30 years old, and it comes up. If nothing else, you have a basic idea of how it comes apart when you are trying to do a repair.

It seems that Sears has scanned in the old parts manuals/breakdowns into their website. They've done a great job, I have yet to find one missing.

Again, glad it was of help to you, and hope others find it useful. That's what this forum is all about.

You can generally find me posting in the automotive forum, but I fix anything and everything around the house and cars myself. Hopefully I can help someone. I know this forum has been of help to me!

Take care and best regards,

Old 01-08-01, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you all

Many thanks to all who replied. Joe, that Sears site was a definate plus and I'm happy to say I think (it is working right now but tomorrow?) we escaped with a vacuum that still sucks I never actually took it apart yet but it seems to be working fine.

Michael
PS: Poncho guy, I had a 1980 Turbo Trans Am, it still holds a special place in my heart.

Old 01-08-01, 04:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good to hear.

Glad you liked the car. I have two of them, one is a 80 Turbo, and the other a 1 of 1,817 made ' 79 Tenth Anniversary 400 4 speed .

I will be adding more in the future .

Old 08-23-07, 09:56 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kenmore canister vacuum cover removal

Kenmore cannister wispertone model cover removal. This was similar to a Rubex Cube trying to figure out how it came apart! Raise the bag compartment cover all the way and you will see the plastic hinges that recess into the motor cover.Gently with a screwdriver blade move the plastic hinges to the outside to free cove hinges from motor housing cover.Remove cover. In the corners of the motor housing beneath the hinge area are two screws.Remove.Go to the top of the motor cover where the cord retractor push bar is located. Where the hinge side of the bar meets the motor housing are 4 plastic tabs that retain the bar to the housing. Gently with a screwdriver, press in on the tabs and each of the bar hinges will pop out.Remove bar and spring.Under the bar area are two more screws.Remove.Motor cover should lift off exposing the motor itself, the cord reel and some AC switches and connections.
If problem is that main motor does not turn on but power head motor works with the hose mounted power switch,the problem is the variable speed controller circuit--a metal box located in bottom of motor area.Part #4148830 from Sears @ $45. Or remove box and connect the red wire to the white wire to make motor run without variable speed-save $45.Good luck!

Last edited by satengnr; 08-23-07 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-07, 02:52 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile

satengnr: well - done, you are truly an amazing resource! Could not figure out how to open the canister and here you pop up with the answer. A hearty thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: