Dirt / debris under sink with garbage disposal unit

Old 10-20-13, 06:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dirt / debris under sink with garbage disposal unit

My kitchen sink has a garbage disposal unit. Underneath the sink there is a cabinet I use for storage. I noticed directly underneath the disposal unit a pile of sand-like debris of various size brown, grey, black, and tan in color. I cleared the debris.

Several weeks or months later, I noticed the debris accumulating again. The debris is dry. My belief is that this is caused by the disposal unit, but I really have no idea where it comes from.

What is this stuff? How do I prevent it? If not, do you have any good solutions to catch the debris as it accumulates so I can easily dispose of it without clearing the entire under-sink area?

Below are thumbnails of the area and the debris. You can click on the images to get a larger view.

Old 10-20-13, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,974 Votes on 2,683 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is it ever wet under the disposer ?
I'm not sure how that much debris could get out of the disposer unless there was a leak.

Old 10-21-13, 03:48 AM
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
Another possibility. Is the unit loose? Does is wobble when turned on? It might be wearing away the underside of the counter top. Does it have the consistency of saw dust?

Old 10-21-13, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
If it is dry, I can only think like Norm and say it is rust from the sink connection, OR the motor is eating itself and the brown is internal rusting falling when it is energized.

Old 10-21-13, 08:34 PM
F
The unit is dry and so are the debris. The unit vibrates a little but wouldn't you be able to feel any motor if you put your hand against it? The sink is metal and attach to a wood counter; however, there is no debris around the edges of the cabinet--only directly under the disposal unit.

The consistency is a mix of fine sand, flakes, and large brown, red dirt clods about 1/4 the width of a US dime diameter.

Old 10-21-13, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
If that substance was attracted to a magnet then it would be rusty steel.

Otherwise I'm at a lose.

Old 10-24-13, 05:19 PM
F
Yep, the stuff--all of it (even the white sand grits)--stick to a magnet. It must be rust from the disposal unit. I really appreciate all your help troubleshooting the issue.

Old 10-24-13, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
The good news: Mystery solved
The bad news: Your disposer is rusting to pieces

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: