Microwave Runs when Door is Open

Old 11-17-13, 10:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microwave Runs when Door is Open

Our GE Profile Spacemaker microwave model JVM3670 5K04 serial number TR900628B is installed over the range and acts as a hood vent too, venting to the outside. It has started running when the door is open. When the door is opened (whether it is just after it fully completed a heating operation for some minutes, or if it has been left totally alone for hours) a motor starts and continues til the door is closed. I do not know whether the motor is just a fan or the microwave actually cooking because they sound very similar. When the door is open, and this motor starts, the upper vent does not open (which it usually does during cooking although it remains closed otherwise). We tried unplugging the unit and waiting 15 minutes, but the problem persists. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 11-17-13, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
Your model number is JVM3670SK04

That is something that needs to be addressed ASAP especially if the magnetron is firing.
You don't want to be exposed to microwave energy.

Does the turntable spin when it starts by itself ?
There are two door switches, a primary and a secondary.... so it's pretty rare to see the oven come on with door open.

Everything, so far, points to a problem with the control board. Microwave ovens are not easy DIY projects.

Old 11-18-13, 10:00 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. The turntable does not rotate- so hopefully it is the fan motor. Unplugged and restarted again with same problem. Do you think it's best if I contact repair technician?

Old 11-18-13, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
Yes..... I would recommend you contact a repair technician.

If the turntable wasn't turning then the microwave section is probably not running but it's a safety concern that should be checked out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: