Need info on deep cleaning of a Dyson DC39 Aminal

Old 11-19-13, 08:40 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Need info on deep cleaning of a Dyson DC39 Aminal

I sucked up some cat crud that really stinks and also gummed up the power head. That aughta tell you what I sucked up. Anyway, I took the power head apart and scrubbed it out. I filled the hose with water and sloshed it around. I removed the swivel where the hose attaches to the motor. I still smell an odor. What could I wash these parts with that would disolve the gunk and get it all out?

Old 11-20-13, 06:38 AM
G
You're going to find that all those little chambers, vortexes, baffles, etc that Dyson uses to keep the suction up as the canister fills are easily jammed with crud. Immediately in the case of cat poo, or over time with normal dust buildup. The only fix is to take the head apart and wash each piece in hot soapy water. Pine Sol might be a good choice in case there's some you just can't flush out.

For the hose you can make a cleaning snake by tying a string around a wad of cloth or maybe a shower mesh scrubby and pull it through. I've seen a long bristle snake at a hardware store for swabbing out a clothes dryer hose to eliminate flammable lint buildup--might be a nice "investment". The bristles looked fine & sparse enough to fit through a vac hose--but I'm not sure.

I picked up a DC10 off the curb on my street, cleaned out the head and replaced all the filters and it works like new--at a price I find acceptable for a Dyson ;-)

There are a great number of Youtube videos showing how to take various Dysons apart. If a picture is worth 1000 words, a Youtube tutorial is worth at least 10,000!

Old 11-20-13, 11:15 AM
S
I can only find videos that show the basic company approved disassembly and cleaning. I can find no info of videos on disassembly of the cyclone thing. I also wonder if the canister has all of those ports and chambers. It has a completely different look then the uprights.

Old 11-20-13, 01:20 PM
S
Ok, I found some promising looking videos. But a problem I am still searching for is how do I remove from the bottom of the triggerhead, that plate that holds the little wheels? I need to remove that to get to the screw underneath it so I can get into the turbine. That plate has 2 screws which I have removed, but there is also a snap lock in the center. I am not kean on forceing it and so I am asking, do you push the center of it or do you pull the outer part that snaps around the center. The plastic seems very stiff and I can see me breaking it.

Old 11-20-13, 07:37 PM
G
I do recall some very difficult snap-together parts like the motor filter cover took way more effort than I was comfortable with but nothing cracked. This was where the Youtube clips really helped--assurance that this was how it has to be done, and the force doesn't damage it. OTOH the DC10 was a very popular model and there were dozens of how-tos covering different areas. The DC39 appears to have a similar canister, but shorter. I'm only going on the online images of the DC39--it may be totally different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: