Microwave power cycles when I open the door

Old 11-23-13, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microwave power cycles when I open the door

My 3-year-old GE JVM1540SMC02 over-the-range microwave has recently started acting up. When the cooking has finished and I open the door, once every few times it will cycle power and I need to reset the clock. It's not IMMEDIATELY when I open the door, more like a 2 or 3 second gap after. Then it stays on fine and I can use it to cook again. This problem has yet to happen DURING cooking, only after cooking is done. I've unplugged the microwave and left it unplugged overnight and this seems to keep it happy for a few days before it starts doing it again. But it still doesn't happen every time, so I'm stumped.

Old 11-23-13, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
What's interesting is that the problem you are having seems to be a problem similar to others that I have had communications with recently. Some GE units seem to restart themselves when the door is open. I don't have an answer as to why it is happening. I don't have a service manual for that unit as there are too many units to have manuals for.

It more than likely will come down to a problem on the control board which will warrant a board replacement. Since these boards are relatively expensive it may be more cost effective to replace unit.

You can purchase a service manual with servicing tips in it from the link below. For the 10.00 it's a worthwhile investment.

GE Over The Range Spacemaker Microwave Oven JVM1540SMC02 Service Manual

Old 11-24-13, 03:16 AM
D
I just had my Sharp micro cycle power sometimes also but it would do it when cooking. I just trashed the micro and bought a new one since it was 15 years old. I wonder if there is a thermal fuse that goes bad or if with age the unit draws more power.

Old 12-25-13, 11:30 AM
Got the service manual. Wondering if you could help interpret what I could check, so I'm including the link here. Wonder if it's possible the fuse is tripping but not blowing? Just looking at things I could easily do myself. As a followup, sometimes the unit now power cycles before I even open the door. Still no problems actually cooking things in the microwave. It never power cycles during cooking.
Here's the guide:
JVM 1540 Technical Service Guide

Old 12-25-13, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
A question.... what exactly do you mean by power cycling ?

Does that mean the entire unit goes black ?
Give a real accurate description. I'll go thru the manual and come up with a plan.

Fuses don't trip.... they are either good or bad.

Old 12-25-13, 03:53 PM
I'll try to get a video of it happening. Problem is that it doesn't do it EVERY time. What happens is I'll cook something and it will finish and say the food is ready. Then after anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds, the microwave completely shuts off (display, interior and exterior light and fan) as though you pulled the plug. Then, anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds later, the display comes back on and asks you to set the clock. I've seen this happen both when the fan is off or on and when the exterior light is off or on. Neither of those have any bearing on if the problem presents itself.

In my original post I said that it happens after the door is opened, but I've also seen this happen with the door still closed. This doesn't ever happen when no one has touched the microwave. It only happens after cooking is done.

Like I said, I'll try to get a video to show this.

Old 12-25-13, 03:58 PM
And thanks by the way for the help with this

Old 12-26-13, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome.

So...this never happens out-of-the-blue....... like overnight ?
Only just after it's been in microwave operation ?
Does the light under the microwave continue to operate ?
If you don't know...... try leaving it on when using the microwave to see what it does.

I have an idea but I'll wait for your reply plus I need to check the manual again.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-26-13 at 05:13 PM. Reason: additional questions
Old 12-26-13, 06:02 PM
Never, ever happens out-of-the-blue, only after it's been in operation. Also never DURING operation, just after.

When the power goes off, the light underneath goes off and so does the fan, if it's on. It's just as if I pulled the plug, so the entire unit loses power. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: