Wife keeps breaking food processors! Help!

Old 11-28-13, 10:39 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wife keeps breaking food processors! Help!

My wife likes to make homemade cole slaw every holiday season. This makes three years straight that she has totaled a food processor while cutting cabbage. This time, it seems like the gears inside are stripped, because while the motor fires up, the shaft doesn't spin. One year, a piece of the plastic broke off inside the food, and rather than hunt for the plastic, she threw the whole batch out.

So, of course, it's become MY job to find a food processor that isn't a piece of --(censored)--. Hopefully I can get one or two suggestions on models you have that have lasted for years with no trouble.

Thanks, and I hope you have/had a great Thanksgiving!

Old 11-28-13, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
What brand is she using? I think you need to step up to a pro model. My wife has a Cuisinart and it is been a very good.

Old 11-28-13, 11:10 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Agree with Tolyn. When it comes to this type of item, price tends to reflect quality. Those Bullet mixers as advertised on TV for instance use nothing but plastic parts and they strip very easy. Since Christmas is here why not splurge and get her a high end unit and save yourself a yearly headache. Besides it'll pay for itself in just two years or several uses as compared to buying a cheap one every year.

Old 11-28-13, 01:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tolyn, we have(or had) a Hamilton Beach 70100 (Hamilton Beach 70100 6 Cups Food Processor Reviews | Epinions.com) which has good reviews.

Norm, I was taught that if you ever give "a household item" to a wife as a Christmas or Birthday gift (vacuums, pots, pans, kitchen appliances, etc), you should do so quickly and leave the room, because it will probably be thrown at your head. I was taught this by the wife in question

Old 11-28-13, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
The pro models are like the DeWalt or Milwaukee of the tool industry.

Here is one similar to what my wife has: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/f...s/dlc-10s.html Look at the warranty. 3 years on the unit 5 years on the motor. There is a lot of deals out there this weekend. Go get a pro model.

Read the reviews on this one: Cuisinart® Pro Classic

Old 11-28-13, 07:22 PM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Norm, I was taught that if you ever give "a household item" to a wife as a Christmas or Birthday gift (vacuums, pots, pans, kitchen appliances, etc), you should do so quickly and leave the room, because it will probably be thrown at your head. I was taught this by the wife in question
Well played!

Seriously, when it comes to gifts we have always used birthdays and holidays as excuses to buy appliances we need anyways. It keeps it short and easy. Then we buy each other some small inexpensive item just to hand a package on the occasion .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: