Hood Extension for OTR Microwave

Old 02-21-14, 11:59 AM
J
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hood Extension for OTR Microwave

I recently installed an OTR microwave (Whirlpool WMH53520AS) which has a 400 cfm exhaust fan (max). The problem is that front burners of the stove top (which we use the most) stick out beyond the front of the microwave which leads to the exhaust system not working very well; everything is missed by the microwave hood. For example, when boiling water the front of the microwave ends up covered in condensation. BUT, if we use the back burners or position the pans closer to the back, the exhaust fan has no problem keeping things clear.

What I am after is a range hood extension that can be added to my microwave, which extends beyond the edge of the microwave (~6" is all I need). There are three of four screws right on the underside edge of the microwave, so it would be an easy install.

I found one solution: Microvisor

I'm tempted to get it, but wanted to see what else is out there. Also, if I get the microvisor I'm wondering if there is any way to remove the logo that is on it.

Does anyone know of other solutions? Maybe getting a low profile range hood and retrofitting it to fit below the microwave (ie cutting out the exhaust fan system and using just the shell).

Old 02-21-14, 01:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
OTR microwaves are notorious for poor vent fan performance. I'd say the Microvisor is the best, pretty easy option to get better performance at the expense of having the hood blocking your view and physically getting in the way.

I don't know of any easy way to get more "power" into an OTR vent since the fan and ducting are built into the microwave. Making sure you have adequately sized ducting above is about your only option. If you want truly good vent hood performance switch to a dedicated vent hood as an OTR microwave is a compromise at best.

Old 02-21-14, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
OTR microwaves are notoriously narrow for over the range use. It does seem the device you have mentioned would work if there are matching holes for the exhaust to move toward. It seems to fit your bill. As far as removing the logo, it is probably as easy as removing the Whirlpool from your microwave, or the name of your stove....not. If it is a sticker, maybe.

Old 02-21-14, 02:07 PM
J
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I think I might go for the microvisor...I think it will work well. The only thing that turns me off is the logo, since I'd want it to look like it came stock with the microwave...oh well.

The microwave is quite a ways off the stove surface (can't remember exact length) compared to other OTR microwaves I've seen, so I am not worried about the hood extension blocking my view or getting in the way. I could see how it could get in the way if my microwave was the recommended height off the stove top, which I remember being quite low.

As far as the power goes, the fan has plenty of it. Like I said, when stuff is directly under the existing hood, there aren't any problems. Since the bottom of the microwave is basically flat, it doesn't do a very good job at catching vapors on the edge, something visor should solve. I replaced all my ducting and it is about as free-running as it can get; pretty much a straight shot up to the roof (about 10').

Thanks again...will report back on what I end up doing. I'm really surprised the Microvisor is the only solution on the market! If Whirlpool (or any mfg for that matter) offered add-ons to their OTR microwaves, I imagine there would be a lot of consumers interested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: