Microwave Keeps turning itself on... Appliance Experts..Please Help.....

Old 03-17-14, 07:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Microwave Keeps turning itself on... Appliance Experts..Please Help.....

Model Number: JVM1540DP1WW Brand: GE Age: ~2 Years Old

Hi All! My microwave is starting on it's own after I open the door and put the item to be heated inside the microwave and then close the door. It starts right when the door is closed before I even press anything on the keypad. It only happens maybe 30% of the time. The microwave works completely fine 70% of the time. When it turns on by itself, the fan turns on, the light goes on, the turn table is off, and no heating is occurring. I changed out the control board, tried two different brand new boards actually. And I also changed all three door switches with brand new switches yet the problem keeps happening. The lower door latch seems to be a little looser then the top one, but I checked the alignment of the latches with the switches, and they switches are definitely being triggered properly from the door latches. I was thinking about changing out the door latches..but I don't want to keep wasting money on parts that aren't really the problem. Also, I was thinking about changing the keypad, at this point I just want the thing fixed already. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-17-14, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your post to the appliances forum.

I was looking up information on your unit and it appears that you aren't the only one having that problem. It also appears that there may be a recall on certain models and I'm trying to find out if yours is one of them. There are several consumer complaint sites that have hundreds of complaints about the GE over-the-range microwave ovens.

It looks like your unit may require a control board so I'm checking into that also.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-17-14 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 07:53 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not an appliance expert but I am thinking maybe it is in the key pad. They only reason I say that is I once bought a used microwave that was quite dirty. The key pad was especially dirty and I was able to clean it but for several hours I couldn't use the key pad so maybe some moisture somehow went into the key pad area either through cooking or cleaning the microwave. Hopefully one of the moderators who works on these will see this post and be able to help you. I hope they move the post so it will get more attention.

Thanks Peter for moving this. Could be about anything causing this but this was all I could think of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: