Problem with GE built in Microwave JVM2052

Old 05-18-14, 04:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with GE built in Microwave JVM2052

Hi,
I have a GE JVM2052 built in over range microwave. It is less than 4 years old. I was using it today, and it was working fine. The time ran out on what I was warming, it was not warm enough, so I hit the 30-seconds button, and the light went on and the timer started, but the plate did not rotate, the fan did not come on, and the unit was basically silent as the clock ticked down. Is there a fuse that might control power to the magnetron and the plate rotator motor? There was a faint smell like burning hair just before it stopped working. I am comfortable working on the unit, but even more comfortable if the magnetron has blown and it is still replaceable under warrantee; the general warranty seems to be over, but I hear that the magnetron is warranted for longer on some of these units?
Any help would be appreciated.

John

Old 05-18-14, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Some units carry an extended warranty on the magnetron but that's parts only..... not labor.
From what you are describing you don't have a mag. problem. It sounds more like a faulty relay on the control board. If the unit is counting down then the power relay should be activated.

I service most of the units I work on without a service manual but you will probably need one. I tried to find one for yours but it said unavailable. Is JVM2052 the complete model number ?

Old 05-19-14, 02:43 AM
J
Thanks! the full model number is JVM2052DN2WW. It's about 3 years old. I was able to determine that the magnetron is warrantied for 5 years, but the rest of the warranty is only 1 year. How would I test/replace the relay on the main board, or would I have to replace the entire board?

Old 05-19-14, 07:44 AM
J
Would the "smart board" (Part # AP4425090) likely be the "control board" you are referring to? And I have not been able to locate where this board is in the microwave, despite looking at exploded diagrams - is it in the door? Any clues on how to test/troubleshoot this issue would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-14, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
The smart board is on the back of the display board. It is pictorial #12 in the diagram.
Sears parts direct/ge-parts/microwave-parts/Model-JVM2052DN2WW

I have not been able to find a schematic for your unit.
The easiest circuit to follow is the turntable motor. Follow it's wires back to the board. You should see square black cubes (relays) on the smart board. One of those control switched power when microwave is activated.

Be careful of the high voltage area of this unit. Don't touch the terminals on the capacitor without discharging it to ground first.

Old 05-25-14, 08:07 AM
J
Update- Bought a new replacement smartboard and replaced the old one - unit is still not working, in exactly the same manner. There was a troubleshooting flow chart in the unit when I opened it up, and my problem does not follow the chart results - the interior light goes on, but the blower and turntable do not, and there is no MW power. But the display works fine (including all keypad functions). Is it possible one of the door interlocks is partially bad? That would prevent the magrnetron from turning on, but would it cut the turntable and blower while leaving the light?

Old 05-25-14, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
It does not appear to be a door switch problem. Is there a schematic there that you could take a picture of ?

Old 05-25-14, 12:19 PM
J
PJMax, there was a schematic inside the unit, I'll have to pull it out and scan it, but I can; I may resort to calling service on this, though, if I can't figure it out soon.

Old 05-25-14, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
For the most part... microwave ovens are not DIY repairs.
Unfortunately repairs like this are not easy unless I have the equipment in front of me or the schematic.

There are two wires to the turntable and two wires to the blower. Did you follow to where they connect and to what board ?

Old 05-26-14, 10:13 AM
J
Name:  wiring schematic.jpg
Views: 3811
Size:  42.3 KBName:  microwave schematic.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  42.1 KB

Here are the schematics from the sheet inside the microwave. Any thoughts?

Old 05-26-14, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
I'll look over the schematics. I sent you a PM too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: