Is an outside vent for an OTR microwave worth the expense and trouble?

Old 06-05-14, 10:01 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is an outside vent for an OTR microwave worth the expense and trouble?

Hello, we're doing some minor remodeling, which includes replacing an old microwave oven. The existing one hangs above the range, but does not have a vent to the outside world (it's back DOES rest against an outside wall).

We're wondering if it's worth the expense of putting in an outside vent. If it matters, we're looking to sell the house next year, so that may play into your answer as well. The outside wall is vinyl siding.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-05-14, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Yes if you do any cooking that has smoke it will vent it to the outside. We had our smoke detectors going off everytime we cooked smokey things. With vent problem solved if you remember to turn it on.

Old 06-05-14, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,949 Votes on 2,662 Posts
Installing an outside vent isn't that hard or expensive depending on wall stud location and is definitely an improvement in the kitchen.

Old 06-05-14, 04:28 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cooking puts a LOT of moisture in the air.

Old 06-06-14, 06:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,560 Votes on 1,403 Posts
I think recirculating vent hoods are almost a total waste. They're good for holding a light and providing some fire protection but the fan is useless if it just blows the smoke and moisture back into the room (yes, I believe those dinky filters are useless).

I would install a through the wall vent in a heartbeat if I were going to stay in the home. Since you are planning on selling and have lived with the current hood for a while I would not go to the trouble. Save your money for a good vent hood on your next home.

Old 06-06-14, 09:18 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
Hi hiker,
I didn't see mentioned if this is an electric range or gas. If gas it increases the moisture issue and potentially produces CO as a byproduct of incomplete combustion. As for selling within a year an outside vent might or might not be a plus. All too many times the new owners will have their own plans for a kitchen (and the rest of the house) and end up filling a dumpster or two with your improvements. If you feel the kitchen will absolutely stay, vent it outside now. But if you think the kitchen will be renovated, avoid the cost and effort.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: