Broken Microwave

Old 06-14-14, 06:14 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken Microwave

Hi,
My microwave broke and I hit a dead end at this point.
It is a Whirlpool microwave (don't know the exact model but it's pretty old, about 20 years) and there is an oven connect to it; the oven works just fine.
Here is what is happening:
After putting in the heating time and pressing start, I get three rapid beeps and the microwave does not start heating. After a while the display gives me a little message below the timer "Start?".
Here is what I have already checked:
- Verified that the fuse is not blown (with a digital multimeter)
- Verified that door switches are working (with a digital multimeter)
- Verified that the Start button is working by using it in different menus

Please help

Old 06-14-14, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the fuse was blown the entire unit would be dead.

Does the electronic keypad appear to be working normally ? It doesn't sound like it.

Usually you enter the heat time, etc. and push start. You should hear a relay click, the high voltage is noisy when it starts up, there is at least one fan that starts. The keypad should be counting down as soon as start is pushed.

If the keypad isn't counting down after pressing start - it sounds defective.

Old 06-14-14, 07:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@PJmax
The electronic keypad appears to be working normally. All the buttons are responding correctly as I navigate through different options. Even the Start button, which also acts as Enter, works correctly; I've checked it by going through other options where the "Enter" would be appropriate. Any button that would initiate the actual process of heating gives me the same response (3 rapid beeps and the microwave does not start).
When I press start there does not appear to be a relay clicking sound coming from the microwave as I attempt to start it. In fact, nothing except for the beeping sound is happening. The fan is not turning on, the light is not turning on, the plate does not start spinning and the countdown is not initiated.
Additional info:
- As I navigate through other options in the menu, each click gives me a single beep. When the Enter button (which is also the Start button) is applicable and would not initiate heating, I do get a single beep.
- The oven shares the panel with the microwave but the buttons for each one are separate (none of the buttons apply to both the oven and the microwave). To give you an idea of how it looks, here is a picture of a newer model that looks similar:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...zL._SY300_.jpg

Old 06-14-14, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
Try to find a model number for me otherwise I'm just guessing at a problem.

So really it's not just a Whirlpool microwave.... it's a Whirlpool dual unit or cooking station.
It sounds like a control board problem and with the age may not be available but there are companies that fix them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: