microwave died


  #1  
Old 07-14-14, 04:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 49,253
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
microwave died

Our Kenmore microwave [721.66227011] died yesterday. My wife bought it new about 1.5 yr ago. Everything lights up so it's getting power but it won't start. She was using it last night when it abruptly stopped.

I'm not the brightest when it comes to trouble shooting electrical appliances what can a dummy check and maybe fix? or do I just need to go out and buy a new one?
 
  #2  
Old 07-14-14, 11:40 AM
G
Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio
Posts: 4,295
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There is a fuse inside. The problem is that it's on the AC line noise filter board. I don't have a wiring diagram to see if that fuse would also effect the light.

At $100 and change for a new one, it's not worth putting too much time into it except for the "I did it myself " gloat.
 
  #3  
Old 07-14-14, 12:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 49,253
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
I went ahead and bought a similar one for $55 at walmart. Gotta have my popcorn fix come this evening
Everything works on the kenmore except for the turntable and heat. It lights up and the timer counts down but no noise/heat. I've replaced the fuse on a previous microwave but it didn't have any power with the blown fuse. I understand not all microwaves are the same.
 
  #4  
Old 07-14-14, 07:54 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 70,159
Received 2,972 Votes on 2,681 Posts
That's an LG unit. (life is not so great without popcorn)

If the fuse was blown... the entire unit would be dead.
There is a thermostat on top of the magnetron assembly that could possibly be the problem but I'm more inclined to think a relay failed on the control board.
 
  #5  
Old 07-15-14, 12:19 AM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I wish my microwave oven would die. It's about 20 years old and just keeps plugging away. The interior is all rusted and looks like heck but it still works as well as the day I bought it. Hard to toss something that still works that well.
 
  #6  
Old 07-15-14, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 49,253
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Turns out I bought one size smaller but I guess it will be ok. The case or outer dimensions is within a 1/2" of the kenmore .... but we have a working microwave Still working on zeroing in on the correct time for a perfect bag of popcorn
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: