Singer 1947 model 66-16 - replace external motor power wires

Old 08-28-14, 12:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Singer 1947 model 66-16 - replace external motor power wires

Hi,

I am working on a Singer 1947 sewing machine model 66-16 to get the electrical components working again.

In the attached photo the two wires with deteriorating insulation probably need replacement, but I am unsure about opening the motor case to get to the inside end of the two power wires. The last repair used black electrical tape to insulate these wires, but the tape is coming undone, and I'd like to do a better more permanent fix.

I am also concerned that replacing these wires may decrease the value of this old sewing machine, which otherwise is complete and in good condition.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
AndyName:  IMG_0754.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 08-28-14, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Don't know about changing value but it you plan on plugging sewing machine in you need to replace wires. Can't tell what wires go to, or how to replace from picture.

Old 08-28-14, 03:19 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You can still buy old time cloth covered cord at lighting stores, especially online. While intended for lamps you can probably find a large enough gauge to use on the sewing machine.

Old 08-31-14, 03:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Singer 1947 model 66-16 - replace external motor power wires

Hi, pugsl and ray2047,

Thanks for the quick responses. I have taken the motor apart, and attached a picture of the outside wires which enter the case (on right side of photo) through a wrapped section and appear to come out at the opposite end where there are two brushes (on the left side of the photo). So it does not appear I can simply replace the wires. I am thinking it might be best to remove the circular terminal ends, remove the damaged insulation, then slip heat-shrink insulation around the wires to the right side of the wrapped section, apply heat to shrink the insulation, solder the circular terminals back on, and re-assemble everything. See below:Name:  IMG_0804_01.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  33.7 KB

Can you advise if some other technique should be used, or if I should leave it alone, or perhaps try to find the entire outer coil to replace the part (the wrapped section seems to be the stationary part of the motor)? I found a parts list online, but am not sure who might have this part, or even the entire motor.

Best regards,
Andy

Old 09-01-14, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I would either get a new one or get that rebuilt, Just googled this
small electric motor rebuild
And came up with a page of rebuilders.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: