Can I salvage this convection oven?

Old 02-28-15, 03:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Can I salvage this convection oven?

I bought a used version of this convection oven which the seller used easy-off on. I don't know what kind of easy off he used. The oven has a white powder all over and the metal or whatever was coating the inside and the "metal" has clearly corroded off. The heating elements are also covered by white powder.

Can this be salvaged by turning the oven on and putting it by a window or outside (during a cool, dry day), letting the residue evaporate until the fumes are gone? Or perhaps thouroughly washing it with a damp sponge? The problem is that the more you scrub it, the more of the "metal" comes off.

I really, really want to recover this thing because it costs $200 that I can't afford to spend.

Thanks

Old 02-28-15, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Posting an Amazon picture and an actual picture are night and day. We can't see yours, so we can't offer any suggestions. Post a few pictures, inside and out of your unit, so we can see what you see. I have a similar version in Oster, and cannot live with out it. I only store cast iron in my regular oven http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 02-28-15, 06:59 AM
You could clean it with a solution of vinegar and water to get the smell out. Clean and dry, then turn it on to get more of the fumes out.
The inside surface is probably shot. Oven cleaner isn't good for aluminum, stainless, or non-stick.
You might have all three inside oven

Old 02-28-15, 11:45 AM
I hope these come out right. By the way thanks for the welcome and one quick question: How do you edit your original post?

Attached Images    
Old 02-28-15, 12:40 PM
After a certain time limit, you can't edit the posts. Just part of the game. Posting an amendment to correct the first one is perfectly alright. Even us old timers goof and can't correct them until someone brings it to our attention.

You have a mess Too bad brain wasn't in gear before they decided to "clean" it. I would do as Brian suggested and make a solution of vinegar and wipe it down. Not sure if CLR or another type cleaner would work better, but it couldn't hurt it, IMO. Then a good "cooking" to clean it on the inside and you should be good to go May not be pretty, but functional, if it is anything like mine.

Old 02-28-15, 12:49 PM
Question

May not be pretty, but functional, if it is anything like mine.
Thanks very much for your reply. Could you tell me more about yours please?

Also, are you sure it wont be a hazard, after doing what you and the others suggested?

Old 02-28-15, 01:08 PM
Here's the one I have. Two large pizzas at one time. Love the double deck cooking. Uses convection as well, so, as I stated, I don't use my big oven, period. Oster Designed For Life 6-Slice Digital Toaster Oven - Walmart.com

I don't think, mechanically, anything is wrong with yours. If it is, it would be an expensive lesson Our Wal Mart had mine on a shelf with no price on it. I asked the lady to check on it for me. She came back with the box and instructions and said they had no listing for it, and would I give $40 for it. DUH. Pack that sucker up!

Old 02-28-15, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Most of the EasyOff products have a form of lye in them. That lye has eaten the finish of your oven. All you can do is to clean the chemical off as best you can.

Cleaning will not cause your unit to be a hazard. It's a cosmetic only thing.
Did you know before you bought this oven what the finish was like ?
If not it should be returnable on those grounds.

Old 03-01-15, 07:31 PM
thanks guys! appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: