Electric shaver

Old 09-01-15, 03:04 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Electric shaver

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section but I will ask anyway. How does one determine or know the speed of an electric rotary shaver. I use a Norelco.
Thanks.

Rich

Old 09-01-15, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Ah, Rich, woke up with nothing to do, huh?? Not sure, but wouldn't the Norelco site have the specs listed under the model number?

Old 09-01-15, 03:47 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Sounds like you have plans for that shaver other than shaving!

Old 09-01-15, 04:04 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Why do you want to know the speed?

My (former) wife gave me a Norelco shaver for Christmas one year. I never could get used to that thing, it was so rough it looked like my face had been flogged with a cat o' nine tails.

As long as it keeps the fuzz off your face why worry? And if it doesn't keep you clean-shaven, then get rid of it.

Old 09-01-15, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
I believe the internal motor spins faster than the rotary heads as they are geared down.

Old 09-01-15, 10:25 AM
E
Norelco shavers are of different prices and therefore different speeds. I read online where a very good shaver runs at 10,000 to 15,000 RPMs but a cheaper model will do much slower than that. The faster the speed it's only logical the better and faster the shave. I know they're not all the same and I would just like to know how someone tells how fast it is. I have yet to see anything in the specs for any shaver where it tells the speed and I look and I have no clue how to contact Norelco online or by phone. The one I use right now cost $100 at Walmart and they have one priced at over $200, plus the cheaper models are about $60. There has to be some reason why the cost is different.

Old 09-01-15, 04:26 PM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Typically the price will reflect quality and extras. But I find any electric shaver of the rotary type does fine.
What I can't understand is that there are men who still use a razor!!! It's barbaric! My own kids use a safety or straight razor. How can that be. Is it a death wish? They did not learn it from me. Imagine in today's modern age some guys put a sharp blade of steel against one of the most sensitive areas of the body and risk maiming their looks. Plus the fact that one has to use water and soap and make a general mess to boot. And god forbid if you happen to have a blemish or temporary facial skin break out. Just the thought sends a chill up my back. And then you need to know when to replace that blade. Maybe you can get one more hack out it!? Ouch!
They tell me it gives them a close shave. So does my electric razor. But 24 hours from now it makes no difference. With my electric I can shave anywhere and not worry about tying up the bath or trying use it when someone else is in there. I usually read my e-mail while shaving and my coffee is right there to drink at the same time. I can do a quick fresh up anytime of day even if I'm not home.

Barbaric I say, barbaric!

Old 09-01-15, 11:28 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Well Norm, I feel the same way about camping. Why would anyone want to leave the comforts of the 21st century to live in the woods like our ancestors?

I've tried an electric razor and either it left an unacceptable (to me) stubble or else it literally tore up my face. I use a multi-edged safety razor and I do it in the shower so I don't need any kind of special soap nor does it add appreciably to my time in the bathroom. I don't need a mirror and I can tell if the blade has dulled too much by the feel of the razor against my skin or the feel of my skin on my finger tips. My beard grows slowly enough I only need to shave every other (or now that I'm retired every third) day and IF I so choose I can go for a week and still be "fashionably acceptable" due to the sloppy grooming habits of these days.

Old 09-01-15, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
I've tried an electric razor and either it left an unacceptable (to me) stubble or else it literally tore up my face.
Same exact problem here. I shave every day using a triple blade. I was getting ingrown whiskers with the electric.... especially in the summer.

Old 09-02-15, 02:52 AM
E
Norm, I agree with you. I have thought about going back to a straight edge but I'm afraid after all the years I've used an electric I would cut myself up too much. I haven't used a straight edge razor blade since 1967 when I was in Vietnam. There wasn't too much electric over there and even if I had access I wouldn't want to make any noise in the those jungles. I now use a Norelco that cost me a hundred bucks and WAS NOT made in China, but would one that cost 2 hundred bucks be faster? That's all I'm trying to find out but I don't know how to do it. The China thing is apersonal vendetta of mine because I do not like any of my money going over there to an enemy of the U.S. With Obozo trying to get more and more illegals into this country where are the jobs going to come from??

Old 09-02-15, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I shave with my dad's old safety razor. I found it when going through his stuff. Blades last a heck of a long time compared to the artsy fartsy 4 blade zoom blades. Hey, if one blade doesn't get it, 4 ain't gonna help. Finding safety blades is the trick. Never had the pleasure of an electric razor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: