Samsung Microwave: Replace/Repair Model: SMH9187W/XAA

Old 10-28-15, 11:13 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Samsung Microwave: Replace/Repair Model: SMH9187W/XAA

Purchased the Samsung Microwave approximately 5 years ago and yesterday the unit started beeping continuously. I unplugged the Microwave for a couple hours, plugged it in and within a short period of time it started all over again. Unplugged the unit overnight and no change.

It would seem the problem is possibly with the 'touch pad control unit' and the part runs approximately $100. I thought I would check to see if anyone is familiar with the unit; if so, is this a common problem, is there a way of testing the pad, and is it difficult to replace? Tech support suggest having a repair person make a home visit but I figure by then the cost of home visit, labor, and parts leaves a very small margin in cost of replacing or repairing?

Comments-suggestions appreciated!

Old 10-28-15, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Over the range unit, info for the pro's

Old 10-28-15, 05:24 PM
L
The Micro is above the stove. Not sure if it means anything, when I hold the start button down for a few seconds there's what appears to be a code that pops-up: 5-918-7A/081123A? Read the manual which makes reference to an 'option' button, allows for turning the 'child lock on/off; or turn buzzer/peep on/off, etc. however, appears the option button does not come with my model; further, once the beeping starts up the control pad does not function.

Thought I would check to see if any one knows if it does come down to replacing the unit I would prefer changing brands; if so, is the back support bracket mounted to the studs universal, or will it require some modifications.

Old 11-05-15, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I searched thru the Samsung tech archives and could find no mention of that problem. It would appear to be a defective control board.

If you do fix it.... get the part from one of the online distributors that offer a 365 day return policy even if the part has been installed.

Unfortunately the rear support bracket is brand specific and for the most part they don't interchange.

Old 11-05-15, 10:30 PM
L
Since my last post, located the owner's manual and read it from cover to cover and about to order a replacement when, out of desperation, found a small opening behind the control pad where I inserted the thin plastic nozzle of an aerosol can of 'blow off' duster, used for dusting off electronic equipment, and gave several liberal blast of air and be darn the micro has been working fine since. Imagine it's a matter of time before the micro will have to be replaced but might as well put it to use while it last. The model I have has been discontinued and apparently replacement parts are limited but did find a source for the 'touch pad control unit', no returns policy, but considerably cheaper than Sears Parts Direct. Since the unit is over 5 years old and I do not want to deal with repositioning the wall bracket I will likely replace with the same brand and model then just a matter of taking out the old and install the new? Thank you, I do appreciate that you took the time to research the matter.

Old 11-06-15, 01:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I'm wondering if moisture got in the keypad and was creating a partial short.
Were you boiling water or creating and type of steam when the problem started ?

Old 11-06-15, 07:56 AM
L
Did not consider the possibility moisture seeped into the touch pad control unit, the range top is used on a daily basis and we only use the fan in preparing certain dishes. Thank you for that information, definitely going to start using the fan, possibly extend the life of the micro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: