How to remove this microwave?

Old 06-30-16, 07:16 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to remove this microwave?

Im installing a new microwave and need to remove the old one first.

In doing research, it seems to me that there should be a couple of screws or bolts attached to the unit from the cabinet above it. I've searched this cabinet and there are no screws/bolts! How on earth did they put this thing in here?

It's a Hotpoint model RVV43-003 (and yes, it came with the house when I bought it in 1995...)

Old 06-30-16, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I would start by removing that vent piece on top, looks like 2 screws holding it in place. Might have a clue looking in there.

Old 06-30-16, 08:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
It can't just be resting on the little bits of wood sticking out beyond the edges of the adjacent cabinets, can it? Maybe a screw or two in from the side (or even the back ) holding it in place.

Old 06-30-16, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Only way I have ever seen them mounted is 2 bolts from the top. Should be near front and on sides.

Old 06-30-16, 08:34 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Usually there is a wall mounted bracket behind it. The MW hooks onto the bottom edge of the bracket and then swings up where it is secured by 2 or 3 bolts through the top. Note: the bolts have big, thin, flat heads so may not be obvious. If there really aren't any bolts then I'm stumped.

One other possibility is that the empty cabinet is mounted to a bracket on the back and up into the cabinets, and then the guts are slid into the cabinet....window air conditioner style. See if there are a few smaller screws in the bottom that look like they may be holding the guts into the cabinet.

Old 06-30-16, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I could offer manufacturers info with the correct model number.

Old 06-30-16, 08:39 AM
M
I agree on all points. There should be a bracket at the back, (attached to studs) and the top is secured with two-three bolts from the inside of the cabinet above. I'm unable to find any bolts going into the top from above. Very Very odd....I will need to investigate this further.

Old 06-30-16, 09:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've removed these before, there are no top screws.
The rear bracket on these is much stronger than today's brackets, heavy steel.

- Remove the grille
- Inside the grille area, you will see two flat head screws, at the left and right.

These "screws" are actually threaded rods and go all the way back into the mounting bracket.

Old 07-02-16, 05:24 AM
M
This morning I finally got a chance to get into the unit and I want to thank you all for the input. Once I removed the vent (@Handyone- no extra long screws) and the cover to the vent on the bottom, I found that it was in deed the 'window air conditioner' type of fit. (Hat tip @CarbindeTipped) I had to remove a few more screws and a cover to some electrical connectors, but the unit slid right out, and then I only had to remove the 'cowl.' THANKS again to you all!

Old 07-02-16, 07:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good job. Most of the old ones have the long screws.

Thanks for posting back how to remove this model, it will come in handy for someone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: