GE microwave not working/unresponsive

Old 11-14-16, 07:48 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE microwave not working/unresponsive

I have a GE Over-The Range Microwave (model#PVM1870SM3SS) that has suddenly stopped working and is completely dead. I heated pizza up, opened the door and took it out. As I was about to shut the door everything went blank. The interior light went off and the display panel went dark. Its completely dead. I checked the circuit breaker and it was fine. I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in but still get nothing. Can you please advise me on what to do next? Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.....Thank You
Old 11-14-16, 08:13 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 63,041
Received 3,593 Upvotes on 3,222 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Be sure to try it in a different/confirmed working receptacle.

That would be indicative of a problem with a door switch.
Your unit has a main protection fuse as well as a thermal safety fuse.
The logical step is to check the internal fuse next. This requires unmounting the unit.

Microwave repair is technically not a DIY repair due to the high voltages found inside.

The following link illustrates checking the fuse....
repair clinic/GE-Microwave-Fuse/WB27X10388/PVM1870SM3SS Help Video Tab
Old 12-02-16, 11:07 AM
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile GE over the counter MicroWave easy fix

Unplugged, it is as safe as a flashlight battery. An internal fuse is blown and the High voltage power diode is likely shorted. The cover is fairly easy to remove to access those parts. Online appliance part dealers have exploded views and part lists to help locate same. A VOM ( volt-ohm meter) is very helpful to check if fuse is blown and diode shorted out or even the cord cut between plug and MV. If you replace fuse it will likely blow again without finding out why. Don't even play inside with it plugged in - that hi voltage can change a VOM to trash. In five years that was the same problem with 5-6 friend or family's unit and I'm just a DIY or else. LOL

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: