Old Sewing Machine Capacitor Issue?

Old 09-30-17, 02:16 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Sewing Machine Capacitor Issue?

Hi all,

I've got a 1950's Husqvarna sewing machine that's stopped working. It has antique value and I'd like to keep it working.

After pulling it apart, I can find nothing obviously wrong. My research points me to the likelihood of the capacity failing. I've attached a photo of the capacitor with the details here -

Jensen Capacitors
0.1 + 2 x 0.02 uF
DRIFTSP. 250V AC / 350V
MAX. STROM 2A
TEST 1500 V
Stojdaemper
Type 54U

The circuit diagram is on the side and I'd like input on whether this component is simply removeable? I understand it may be designed for electrical noise suppression given the values? Once I desolder the wires, what values would you expect for a 'good' component? It has four wires (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom).

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-17, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Those are indeed static suppression filters and will not affect the operation of the sewing machine. So don't even bother disconnecting them. If they are intact.... they are ok.

So.... give us more pictures. The full wiring diagram, the motor and anything else helpful...... model number.

I'm seeing mentions of a Viking 21A or 51.

Old 09-30-17, 02:33 PM
I
Thanks. It looks intact from what I can see but I suspect the outer case obscures 3 separate capacitors? If they are failed in an open circuit fashion, I would expect the component is effectively 'not there'?
If they are failed in a closed circuit fashion, I would expect the house circuit breaker to trip (which it hasn't).
I'll have a look at the motor windings next to see what I can measure.

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-17, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Due to the vintage and the size of the caps.... there would be little chance of them opening. Those older parts will last forever. If they were shorted..... you'd know it.

You could look to replacing that piece in the future but don't worry about it now while servicing. Let's get the motor fired up so that if you need to scour for parts... you can do it all at the same time.

Old 10-01-17, 12:38 PM
T
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
I didnít realize 50ís vintage equipment had radio interference capacitors. Those are meant to reduce noise/static on am radios in the day. Even now those kinds of caps are popular., and most all mains derived power supplies use them. They have otherwise nothing to do with motion (or lack thereof)

Old 03-18-19, 03:27 AM
B
Hi,
I have one of these machines, in which this very capacitor has clearly blown - bottom has popped right off and half the insides have come out. Any tips on where to find a new one, or if its ok to bypass, how do I do that given there are four wires, 2 on top and 2 on the bottom?

thanks heaps for your help.
Ben

Old 03-18-19, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
There should be a diagram on the side of the filter. It's two wires in and two wires out. Those are only noise filters. You can use the machine without them. If you wanted to replace that part you would need to search old sewing machine sites or replace the three caps individually.