Water on motor?

Old 02-14-18, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Water on motor?

This may seem stupid, but I've never had this issue. Have a juicer that had a problem and all sorts of juice and pulp got into the motor. Typical open type motor with fan below and grinder coupling above. Can't get the grinder coupling off to completely remove the motor from the housing.

Could I lightly rinse the parts that are contaminated, blow it out well, then let it air dry for a few days before reassembly w/o a problem? I know water won't corrode the windings or anything and the connections are sealed or will be protected, but the brushes are down at the bottom and pretty exposed in their holders. Don't think I can remove them or clean up the commutator after.

I know as long as you rinse electronics with distilled water and let it dry completely, there's rarely a problem. We had that happen more than a few times where they were dunked in salt water, and as long as they were rinsed in fresh and given plenty of dry time, they were always gtg. But this isn't milspec stuff.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-18, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Keep the electronics dry. Wash the motor and blow it out with air.
Let it finish air drying.

Old 02-14-18, 01:50 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Since separating the motor doesn't sound like an option I'd do as you described. Having well water though, and thinking even of some of the municipal water I've seen I would probably use distilled water, but don't know if that's necessary or not.

Old 02-14-18, 03:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I've washed out many motors and electronic devices with very good results. Iv'e even saved a DSLR camera body and lens with all it's electronics and tiny motors after a drop into salt water.

If stuff is caked in there or you have bits of pulp dried in place I would drop it in a bucket of water for several hours to get things softened and broken loose. Then do a good soak and/or rinse with distilled water. Then thoroughly dry the snot out of it. For things like motors that have a lot of deeply buried nooks and crannies around the windings in summer I'll set it outside in the sun for several days or put it in an oven at 150f to bake the moisture out.

Old 02-14-18, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ok, so I wasn't crazy. Can't really bake it, though I would prefer to if possible. Housing and parts are plastic (of course) as well as the rubber coupler and isolation bushings.

Initial clean in sink, rinse with distilled, blow out well and set aside...then blowout again later tonite.