Kitchenaid Microwave - "fixed" with fishing ilne

Old 02-26-18, 08:33 PM
Kitchenaid Microwave - "fixed" with fishing ilne

Can anyone help me replace the right part? I have a Kitchenaid Microwave model KCMS2055SSS-2 that was only heating intermittently. I followed some online diagnostics and checked the switches, diode, etc. and found them all ok. Lights, panel, timer, turntable all worked, just wouldn't heat. Finally, i got to the relay on the back of the control board, unplugged & replugged wires and was about to order a new magnetron, but plugged in the microwave and tried it for kicks - it worked. Put the covers on and a week later wouldn't heat again.
So pulled it out, removed over, checked the wires to the relay, plugged in and tested - heat. Before i put the cover back on, i tied a short piece of mono-filament to the wires connected tot he breaker and fed them under the panel. It worked for a day, then stopped heating. A light tug on the fishing line, and you can hear the magnetron kick on. But sometimes you have to hold slight tension to keep it running.
It's been a few days, and now i have to fix it for good, or go spend a few hundred on a matching replacement.
So what's wrong? Failing relay or something else? When i removed the control panel, all the soldered connections look good? Not sure if i have the skills to replace the relay, without damaging the control panel...

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-18, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I won't comment on the string repair.

If the solder on and around the relay is good.... it's more than likely a defective relay. The relay is not considered a replaceable part although if you are handy it can be replaced. Normally the board would be replaced.

I service those boards and have many of those relays. With part number on it... a replacement can be located. You will need a good pencil soldering iron and desoldering braid or a desoldering vacuum.

Old 02-27-18, 06:53 PM
Pete,
Thank you for the quick response. Think I'll try to replace the relay before i buy a new control panel. Worst case i mess up the control panel and have to replace the whole thing.
Kenny

Old 02-27-18, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
If you need help finding the relay.... post all the numbers on it just like they are printed.

Old 02-28-18, 03:44 PM
This is all I see without removing the relay "OMIF-S-112LM"

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-18, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Here are two suppliers.... shows as discontinued item in the parts listings. The first link is to Mouser electronics. They show no single quantity purchase available. The second listing is from eBay and looks like your best bet now.

Hmmm.... the eBay link is from China. There are several companies that sell that part from China. Aliexpress is another one. Haven't found any stock in the States yet.

mouser/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-OEG/4-1440002-7

OMIF-S-112LM-12VDC-New-and-ORIGINAL-20A-Miniature-Power-PC-Board-Relay