Cuisinart 1200 coffee maker stops mid pot

Old 06-14-18, 10:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cuisinart 1200 coffee maker stops mid pot

Cuisinart 1200 coffee maker stops mid cycle brewing only half a pot.

I cleaned it several times with vinegar/water and CLR. I disassembled and checked the tubes and check valve. All were clean. Heating tube looked clean also. No plugged filter issues. Thermistors looked to be in good shape, not sure how to test those.

Tried unplugging to reset the unit, no effect.

What else can I check ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-18, 03:55 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm assuming that your Coffee Pot has stalled halfway only once, and that this is not a recurrent issue.

There's usually BOTH a Thermistor AND a Safety Fuse. The Thermistor allows current to repeatedly flow to the heating element up to about 220F, and then it will cool until it closes again at around 180F while the Fuse will melt permanently as a safety precaution, anytime the temperature rises above 240F.

You can check both the Thermistor and the Fuse for continuity and determine which one is failing. The Thermistor will fatigue after several thousand switchings On and Off; but the Fuse only fails ONCE, and it's usually because there's some kind of short that needs to be investigated.

I have replaced both devices some of my Coffee Pots, so I have a supply of both. I used to get them from Radio Shack; but they're now all closed up, so I've taken to using those I get on eBay; and using the Celsius equivalents . . . . switches and fuses can be had for 20 to 35 apiece if you're prepared to wait, and you may discover that the original unit was equipped with devices that were just as inexpensive as these, be it an expensive Coffee Pot or a cheap one. .

The Thermistor is easy . . . . while the Fuse indicates the need for a more thorough diagnosis for your own safety. It's a pretty simple mechanism; but I'm sure it's responsible for many house fires every year. Good Luck,

Old 06-15-18, 02:03 PM
D
The heating element does heat up, so i'm thinking the fuse is intact.

More recent tests have resulted in no brewing at all. A minute or so after turning on, it beeps that it's done, very little water has moved through.

I double checked the flow passages and I can blow air all the way through, no problem. So I started looking at the electrical side. The heating element does heat up. But I noticed a small heat sensor had some broken insulation. See below:

Heater element with sensor unclipped

Sensor which is clipped to side of heater coil

White insulation is cracked

I'm not sure if the cracked insulation actually makes a difference but so far it's the only problem I've found. the wire inside seems to be intact. I'm guessing from reading your post, that this is the "fuse"?

The Thermistors seems to have continuity. So if all are intact then I'm at a loss for what else could be wrong. Unless I'm checking the continuity incorrectly.

Old 06-15-18, 02:53 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The logic of your Cuisinart Unit may be a little more sophisticated than what I've dealt with.

My Fuse has always been a simple element looking like a tiny capacitor on one leg of the circuit. I don't recognize the shape that you're considering to be the Fuse.

Your Unit may be equipped with a separate warming function, after the Coffee has completed the brewing cycle, represented by that sensor in the middle of the heating pad . . . . and that may be keeping the pot warm but never hot enough to brew your Coffee.

Coffee is brewed by evaporating incoming water inside the horseshoe located below the similarly shaped horseshoe heating element . . . . can you tell if you have current through that "U" shaped element at normal room temperature ?

I have never had one which works only half way . . . . they either work or they don't; no partial functioning; or quitting at the way point.

The wiring inside any cracked insulation is suspicious, and ought to be checked for corrosion and continuity . . . . it would be nice if it were something that obvious.

Over the course of my life, most of my Coffee Makers have bit the dust only because the Carafe broke, and a replacement was unavailable; just consider the variety:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coff...w=1600&bih=767

And now that we've learned how to be careful in handling them, we find that the longevity of the wiring components is less than that of the Carafe !

Can you see any writing or coded markings on these tiny wiring devices ?

Someone else on this Forum may have additional experience in repairing similar units.

Old 06-15-18, 03:34 PM
D
This is a programmable model, albeit an older model. There is some writing on the torpedo shaped thermistors but hard to read.

hopefully someone with specific knowledge of these units will weigh in.

thanks for replying.