Kenmore Upright Vac. Model 125.311 Agitator won't turn

Old 09-06-18, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Kenmore Upright Vac. Model 125.311 Agitator won't turn

Hello all .... I just got this new Kenmore ...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...?page=5#manual

When I got it together I found the agitator would not turn. Talked with tech support they said it was defective. Contacted the seller, but instead of a replacement they gave me a refund.

So I figure I will try and fix it. A service center is too far away and according to tech support they may not honor the warranty because of where I bought the item which is ridiculous.

Anyway what needs to be done to get the agitator to turn again. Thank you for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-18, 12:58 PM
Update .... I opened the vacuum and it looks like the belt is ok ... I think this model has two motors one for the vacuum and one for the agitator. Please correct me if I am wrong. It looks like it needs a new motor. According to one website that part is no longer available ... any help to find one would be nice.

Old 09-06-18, 01:25 PM
Arrow Disassemble help?

Anyone know where I can get instructions on how to disassemble the vacuum to get the the agitator motor .... maybe it's disconnected?

Old 09-06-18, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 920 Votes on 860 Posts
Did you buy a used vacuum ? ..... Factory service doesn't support any used products.
31140..... pet friendly vacuum. Not sure who manufactured it.

It may be pet friendly but not service friendly. None of the usual parts places carry parts for it. I can't give you much help if I can't find parts or service info. I do know that there is a pushbutton circuit breaker that protects the brush motor. I would check and make sure that motor is actually getting voltage before I considered replacement.

Old 09-06-18, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 56 Posts
Here is a break down of vacuum> Look under nozzle part # 22 there is a switch. Check that first. Could not find motor.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...3/0645000.html

Old 09-06-18, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Any of these parts could cause the beater bar to not turn. These numbers refer to diagram numbers under "nozzle parts" in Pugsi's link. The motor is still available but it's pricey. New over $140. I did see a few used ones floating around.

#19 - P.C. board assy.
#21 - on/off switch
#22 - overload switch
#23 - P.C. board - rectifier
#33 - vacuum beater bar AND motor .... OEM part # KC92SDWFZ000
#35 - P.C. board. Looks like a switch that may sense when the hose is plugged in.

Old 09-06-18, 05:51 PM
Arrow Brand New

PJ ... I bought it new ... The Kenmore CS said the warranty might be in doubt because I didn't buy it from an authorize dealer I think. Also the nearest service center is over an hour away.

Is there a way to check what you guys listed with a multimeter ... if so what should I look for?

Update ... I just notice the diagram Pugsi linked me to is different than the one I saw. This one doesn't show a motor for the agitator. I was wondering if it had two motors ... apparently not.

Old 09-07-18, 04:58 PM
Arrow Wrong model # 50610 ... mine 40610

Okay it looks like pugsl had the wrong model number ... so many of them Mine does have the motor for the agitator. I need to figure out how to disassemble the vacuum to get to the parts and how to check them.

Old 09-07-18, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
A Sears or Kenmore product will have a model like you started to leave in the first post.
It looks like XXX . XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Old 09-08-18, 08:34 AM
Arrow Didn't use all the numbers

I was using the last 5 numbers where the difference is .... actually the whole model number is 125.311.40610 ... pugsl put up a link for the 50610 (last 5 numbers).

Old 09-14-18, 02:44 PM
Thumbs up She Be A Spinning Now

Wellsir ... I got the agitator to spin again. Don't know how for sure. I figured out how to get it apart. I was checking the connections and push the reset button a few times. I decided to see if I could check some readings with a multimeter. I plugged it in ... turn it on and vola! it was spinning again. Perhaps the button for the protection override wasn't pushing the button? I don't know ... all I know is I got a brand new vacuum for free.

Old 07-02-20, 08:58 AM
Unhappy Brush Won't Spin ... Redux

Wellsir ... I am having the same problem with this vacuum. It never was right. Usually I got it to go by moving the handle up and down. I bump into a piece of furniture and that was all she wrote. What parts on this model would need to be replaced in order to get the brush to spin again?

Old 07-10-20, 09:55 AM
Question Okay I see parts that could cause problem

PJ posted a list of parts that could cause the problem. I guess I would need to use a multimeter to check for the bad part, but what kind of reading would I be looking for to tell if the part is good or bad?