Whirlpool Microwave Blowing Fuses

Old 09-11-18, 02:35 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Microwave Blowing Fuses

I have a whirlpool Gold microwave model GT4175SPB-2. Recently it quit heating things over the course of about a week. In my efforts to fix it, I tried watching several component test videos and ended up replacing the capacitor and diode thinking that was the problem, now it just blows fuses every time I try to start heating something. The control panel powers up fine when it’s plugged in, but as soon as I put in a time and hit start, I hear a low hum, and the fuse on the line filter blows within one second. I am guessing that my high voltage transformer is probably bad, or I reversed the polarity accidentally on the capacitor when reassembling. Hoping to get some help.

Old 09-11-18, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Did you look at the door switches..... in depth ?
Typically if it's a three switch microwave...... the third switch is a fail safe switch. Its job is to dead short when the door is open. The other two switches are supposed to turn the microwave off as/before the door opens before the fail safe can short. If the fail safe switch is shorted or out of alignment....... the microwave will always blow a fuse.

I would recommend getting a copy of the service manual. They usually run $9-10 bucks for an online download.

Old 09-13-18, 05:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, I tested all three switches, And they seem to be closed/open exactly the way they are supposed to. Two of them in one configuration, and the third exactly opposite. I do have the technicians repair guide which was in a cellophane envelope stuck inside of the cabinet case. But I will look for a bona fide repair manual, any particular place I should look for that? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-13-18, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Double check your model number.... it needs to be 100% correct.
Try here for the service manual.... https://www.servicemanuals.net/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: