Kenmore OTR Microwave Is Dead

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-22-19, 12:51 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 75
Likes Received: 1
Kenmore OTR Microwave Is Dead

Kenmore OTR microwave slightly above 10 years.

Opened the door and boom just died with breaker tripped.
Power supply is ok, verified by plugging in another device.
Reading online I replaced capacitor and new fuse. Plugged it in to test, lights and keypad came on, but 30 secs and it blew a fuse.
What should I check next?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-22-19, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,217
Likes Received: 34
Sorry, I know you want to fix it but a 10 year old microwave to me has lead a good life and should be retired and replaced.
 
bambata liked this post.
  #3  
Old 05-22-19, 10:04 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 50,627
Likes Received: 112
It's pretty tough to fix without a service manual. They can be purchased for around $10 online.

If you opened the door while it was running and it blew the breaker..... there is a problem with the door switches.
There are most likely three of them. Two for power and one for safety. The power switches are supposed to cut the power off to the microwave section immediately and if they don't.... the safety creates a dead short.

Capacitors rarely go bad. There is a diode that can go bad.
 
bambata liked this post.
  #4  
Old 05-24-19, 04:50 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 75
Likes Received: 1
OK thanx guys. Gotta dig the well, lick-to-shine wifey's garage queen, slop the hogs and plow the south forty before breakfast. Also after following Danny1976 MW issue, 10 years in, I will have to consider this a life well lived and say last rites to this MW.

Curiously though, besides the plug in cord, blower fan...what item's of interest, or DIY'ing, can be harvested from this thing? It's all torn apart.
 
  #5  
Old 05-24-19, 06:03 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 50,627
Likes Received: 112
Maybe the blower fan. HV transformer, cap, diode, magnetron not usable for much.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes