Replacement for obsolete Microwave door switch?

Old 07-09-19, 07:13 PM
Replacement for obsolete microwave door switch?

I have an old Sears microwave (model: 565.8924790) manufactured in 1994. The door switch has gone bad and the microwave rarely functions. The switch appears to be obsolete. We're "close" to a kitchen remodel and I'd like to avoid buying another (even cheap) microwave in the interim before we fully settle on a brand, etc.

Are there any alternatives to this switch that will work?

Thank you

Attached Images   

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 07-09-19 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Wow.... that's an old microwave...... +/- 1994 vintage.
They certainly don't build them like they used to.

I use generic switches. I buy them in bulk from electronic suppliers. You don't need the same exact number for the part. They are very similar in size and design. Quality is the only major difference. I left you two possible choices. There are many others.

A choice
Better choice

EvanVanVan voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-09-19, 07:39 PM
Perfect, thank you!

Yeah, I was gonna post about this a few weeks ago but I saw you or another mod mention in a similar thread a "20+ year microwave should just be replaced" and got discouraged... But even for a $60 AmazonBasics one it seems silly to create more waste for microwave I'll only plan on keeping a year or so.

Old 07-09-19, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
I don't usually say replace if old unless it looks like an expensive repair and it's not justified.
A door switch is an easy repair.

When I was looking for your exact switch.... I saw an ad on ebay for three used ones. So I used the close-up viewer. Two were melted and the third didn't look too healthy either.

EvanVanVan voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-09-19, 10:13 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Old microwave? Mine is at least 22 years old and works as well as it did when new. Admittedly it had a few years of rest in its early years but definitely seen a lot of usage since then.

I bought a new microwave oven a few years prior to moving. I had loaned my oven to my sister who used it for some kind of "demo" cooking and after she returned it it didn't work so I bought a new one. Anyway, a few years later I decided I wanted to move out of that house and in the new(er) house the previous owner's had left their old microwave so I used that for the first few years until it died. Then I dug out my "old" oven and started using it. Rarely a day goes by that I don't "nuke" something.

I moved into this house in December of 1999. This microwave oven has rust in the cooking cavity. Several years ago I wrote a post about seeing some "microwave oven safe paint" on an appliance parts site and wondered if I should get some to try to paint the inside of my oven. I stated at that time I had some automotive touch-up spray cans and could I maybe use that instead of paying $20 a can for special paint just for a microwave oven.

Well, I never did anything but continue to use that oven and I continue to this day. The inside of it looks like crap but as long as it works I can't bring myself to buy a new one.

Old 07-09-19, 10:25 PM
Lol this microwave was left in a house my parents bought last year. It's in amazing condition and very big. I thought it was a huge upgrade from my grandmother's "old," ugly microwave I had (which hadn't turned while cooking for several years). I​​​​​​ was stunned when I started investigating this problem and saw the sticker on the back of it said it was manufactured in Sept. 1994.
​​​​