Garbage disposal location

Old 08-21-19, 08:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal location

My kitchen sink is 30-70 split. I wash dishes in the large-deep half, but the garbage disposal is on the small-shallow half. This doesn't make sense to me because small food pieces get washed into drain without getting chopped. Strangely my neighbor's setup is exactly same. Is there a reason why the disposal is on the shallow side? If I move the disposal, am I likely to damage rubber gaskets/seals? If yes, are the seals/gaskets proprietary and not available from Home Depot?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-19, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
You would just need to get under the sink and measure. If the disposal is on the lower sink, you would likely want to go out the side of the disposal with a straight tailpiece that will tee into the drain from the higher sink. Below that tee is where your trap would go. As long as the tailpiece coming out of that trap is going to be a little higher than the rough in at the wall, you're golden.

I would be surprised if it wouldn't work. Only reason it wouldn't is if your sink is unusually deep or if your rough in was plumbed in too high.

Old 08-21-19, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, the disposal is attached to the higher sink. I suppose I have to either move the disposal to the lower sink or install a second disposal to the lower sink.

Attached Images  
Old 08-21-19, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, the disposal is attached to the higher sink
yeah I know... that's what you're asking, isn't it?? Whether or not you can move it to the lower sink! Just reread what I wrote above, because I was explaining what you need to do to move the disposal to the opposite side... there's no reason it shouldn't work. You will need to move the existing disposal to the other side, you should not have 2 disposals.

You will need to replace the elbow on the disposal with a straight tailpiece and you will need a new strainer/basket for the left side and a new disposal mounting flange kit (you need the right flange for your disposal) for the right side.

Then you need all the parts I mentioned earlier to hook it up to the rough in that is coming out of the wall.

Old 08-21-19, 11:20 PM
Sorry I misunderstood your previous post. Yes, the disposal outlet will be high enough for the trap. Both sinks have the same drain opening, 4.5". I should be able to swap out the flanges. If not, Ace Hardware is within a mile. Will report back when complete. Thank you.

Old 09-10-19, 08:38 AM
Project completed

Thank you for your help. I should have replaced the elbow from the disposal with a straight pipe (your suggestion) and rotated the Tee by 90 degrees. it would have been prettier than this.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-19, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
As long as it doesn't leak, looks like it will work. One thing to note, you need to loop the dishwasher line as high as it will go... get a pipe clamp to hold it up high on the back of the cabinet. That prevents the line from siphoning itself dry.