OTR Microwave Install - Roadblocks

Old 10-22-19, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OTR Microwave Install - Roadblocks

We are trying to install an otr microwave in a space where we took out an old vent hood, so there is already an existing vent hole in the wall. We were hoping to use the existing hole for ventilation, but the wall template that came with the new microwave places the hole about five inches higher and is slightly wider.
My initial thought was to plug up the old hole and just cut a new one, but then I realized that the existing hole is framed out and there is actually a stud running through the space above it. So if I cut a new hole according to the template, there'd be a stud in the way.
I would appreciate any thoughts on how to deal with this. I realize recirculating into the house is an option, but my husband is adamantly against it and I've read it is a bad idea. I know there is duct work out there, but I don't know anything about how it works or what to buy, so I will need extra help/advice in that area. TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-19, 09:06 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
Pictures might help in this case. Depending on the configuration a transition piece might be constructed. A lot depends on how much space is available. I din't know why your hubby is so against the interior recirculating. It's used almost exclusively nowdays.

Old 10-22-19, 11:37 AM
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. I cut the stud and framed an opening. An easy fix if the wall is not load bearing.

Old 10-22-19, 11:37 AM
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
Yes I also cannot understand what is going on here.
Studs are vertical so how it is there higher up but not in the current location is puzzling.
Does the old vent run vertical or does it go horizontally out a wall?
A picture may help.

I am with your husband when it comes to wanting an actual venting system.
A recirculating hood does not remove steam/moisture from the air which in my neck of the woods is important,
I have a high efficiency furnace and a cold winter and do not have an air handler so the last thing I need in the house is more humidity. Also they remove some of the cooking smells but not all of it though even a vented system will not get rid of all of it.