Fitting duct transitions

Old 11-10-19, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fitting duct transitions

I was wondering if there are any tricks of the trade when it comes to fitting a 3 1/4 x 10 x 6" transition boot onto the 3 1/4 x 10" supply attached to the fan. Yes, they are the same size and I find that the transition boot doesn't want to fit over or in properly. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-19, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
It's just a tough connection to make. I don't know of any tricks to make it easier.

Old 11-10-19, 02:05 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Is one end fluted so it is slightly smaller? If not, you may need to do that. There is a special too, but probably not worth buying it for one connection. I've made by taking the longest pliers I have and going all the way around the edge to bend it in slightly. Twisting the pliers a bit as you go along helps.

Keep in mind the airflow direction. Make it so the air flows through the narrower piece (male) to the female so you don't create an edge to catch grease.

Old 11-10-19, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Not sure that is going to happen. You would need to flute the hood fitting as you want to keep the previous fitting going into the following fitting.

Old 11-10-19, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neither the vent supply nor the boot is fluted, Dan. I agree with PJ about the vent supply needing to be fluted but what this manufacturer lacked in measuring the supply down a sixteenth they made up for with some pretty heavy gauge metal on the vent supply so I'm not really sure I can flute it. Guess I'll get it down as far as I can and then use the metal tape to make the connection. Thanks.