Sewing machine motor not working - bulging capacitor

Old 11-21-19, 01:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewing machine motor not working - bulging capacitor

My late 50's Husqvarna sewing machine has suddenly stopped working but the light is still ok. Carbon bushes are good and no obvious signs os any wiring problems. I've also checked the foot pedal with a multimeter. The capacitor does however appears to be bulging at each end. I understand that this is capacitor is to suppress interference for radios etc. Could this capacitor be the reason why the motor now doesn't work? I've attached some photos of the capacitor, wiring and motor. Grateful for any suggestions.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  119.4 KB

Name:  s3.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  s4.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  s5.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  54.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-22-19 at 07:52 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-19, 08:23 PM
B
Received 73 Votes on 64 Posts
This is a universal motor whose windings are connected in series and can be tested with an ohmmeter (50-100 ohms with the capacitor disconnected from the motor). If reading is higher, the brush/commutator interface should be cleaned. The capacitor is for electrical noise suppression and normally placed in parallel with the windings. As such, an open capacitor would result in more electrical noise but the motor would run. The capacitor can be checked for this condition using an analog multimeter. A shorted capacitor would open breaker/fuse when power was switched on so the motor would not run. The capacitor would have to be replaced.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 11-25-19, 01:34 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Beelzebob for your insight, Given the capacitor visually looks faulty (or at least likely to fail sooner rather than later) and not necessary for the machine to operate, I'll most likely now rewire it out of the circuit and see if this solves the problem. Cheers Blair