GE Spacemaker XL JVM1630 microwave oven runs with door closed

Old 11-29-19, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Spacemaker XL JVM1630 microwave oven runs with door closed

This is an over the range oven. I cleaned food grease buildups on the top front vent panel and removed the panel, and cleaned underneath the panel with microwave breaker off on the electric panel. After cleaning, as soon as I turned the microwave breaker back on, microwave oven started running and heating w/ door closed. I did some googling, and located what appears like switch inside the bottom door clip hole on the frame, and pushed that in gently several time with a screwdriver. At first, it made no difference. However, after unplugging the microwave oven from the outlet for about 30 min, and plugging back in, the problem of it running when door is closed stopped, and it seems to be running normal.

I used hot steaming heat when cleaning, including the front keypad area, and I suspect the heat may have tripped some sort of electrical part inside the microwave oven possibly? Even though microwave oven seem to be running ok now, I'm worried that it might start running again when door is closed when I'm not home. If it does, can the microwave oven overheat, and cause fire or melt? The microwave oven is about 14 years old. Should I just start shopping to get it replaced? Your opinions please?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-19, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
The door switches can not initiate a "start" command. In other words..... those switches cannot start the microwave running. They can only stop it. I didn't look yours up yet but there may be three switches on the door. Two are basic stop switches and the third would be a failsafe so that the microwave could not run with the door open.

I would be very leery of that starting again by itself.

Old 11-30-19, 12:11 PM
Received 56 Votes on 52 Posts
Do not use steam to clean it.
It is not a good idea to get steam anywhere near an electronic device,
You probably got moisture on the control board and screwed it up.
Now the moisture has dries and it is OK.

If worried about it then replace it.
After all your peace on mind is worth quite a bit.