Kirby Sentria II Motor Trouble

Old 01-18-20, 10:54 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kirby Sentria II Motor Trouble

I was vacuuming my car in the freezing cold Minnesotan air the other day and the vacuum tipped over and the fan cracked into a bunch of pieces, sounding like a plastic lid in a garbage disposal. :-/ I took the vacuum apart, cleaned out the broken plastic bits, and replaced the fan. I then gave it a test run, and it worked wonderfully, sucking up the a pile of dirt and debris on the floor, but after about 15~20 seconds the vacuum started smoking, so I immediately shut it off. After disassembling, I found that the armature bolt was locked and would not turn easily; however, after a few difficult rotations it loosened up quite a bit.

Here is a Youtube link to a 20 second video I made of the motor beginning to fail.

I tested the vacuum two more times with it partially disassembled (as seen in the video) and it seems to start making noise as it heats up after a few seconds. The armature bolt is hot to the touch. What might be the problem and what part might need replacing? Things I should specifically test when I further take the vacuum apart?

Here's a link to exploded-view drawings of the whole vacuum in case that would help anyone answer. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-20, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
That screeching sound towards the end is a motor bearing squealing.
The fact the armature was locked up would also point to the bearings.
They are #8 and #10 in the motor parts list.

Check and make sure the armature is still straight.
It's possible the shaft bent when the blower exploded.

Old 01-18-20, 09:06 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJmax! Good to know about the bearings!

When spinning the front bearing plate (or the armature in the bearing plate), there was a wobble. It seems like the shaft is straight, but I can't tell for sure. Maybe I can set it up to check for sure. So I'm guessing there is a problem with the front bearing or how it sits in the bearing plate. It looks like it might be crooked. Here's a photo of that. Does that seem crooked or is it just the design?

So if it's the bearing, I could either
  1. Replace the whole bearing plate for $25 (including shipping)
  2. Replace the bearing for about $10~$??: bearing ($15) + blind bearing puller ($25~$85) + ???
Is it easy enough / worth having bearing pulling equipment around? Any advice?

Old 01-19-20, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
That is a bearing held in by that snap clip. The problem is it looks like the bearing is just floating in there. It should be solidly held in place.