Electric Infrared Heater - thermostat switch fuse

Old 02-04-20, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Infrared Heater - thermostat switch fuse

In my electric heater i would like to replace the thermostat switch fuses.
How do I find out the original switches are N/C (normally closed) or N/O (normally open) so I can order the correct fuses from E bay or Amazon.
I am unable to insert a picture of thermostat fuse here.
On my old fuses I see this T1/22 40 & T1/22 100, may be the 40 & 100 represents temperature in Deg. C .
(the photo for the above fuse looks similar to photo of KSD301 which is commonly seen on Amazon)
I don't want to scrap my heater for this cheap fix.
Hopefully here, I would be able to find some good suggestions and help.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-20, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
Why do you want to modify your heater?

The best way to check your switches is with a multi meter. With that you can easily determine if they are NO or NC. You can also figure it out by how your heater and switches operate.

Old 02-04-20, 01:00 PM
Pilot Dane appreciate your suggestions.
My heater stopped working, it had no power. I replaced the rocker switch and when I switched on it had power
for some seconds then no power. I have found one of two thermal switches may be bad.
I checked with multi meter one tested ok for continuity and the other failed continuity.
Now I would like to know what should I do.
If I can replace both of the thermal fuses , but I need to know if the old ones are NC or NO.
Please suggest how to find if the old thermal switches were originally open or closed, so I can purchase therm.
The new switches come in NO or NC with different voltages.
thanks for the help.

Old 02-04-20, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
If they are safety stats or cycling stats..... they will be NC (normally closed).

Old 02-05-20, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
A switch must be closed in order for current to flow. And, you want current to get to your heater so you need normally closed switches. When they sense excessive heat they open, cutting power to the heater for safety.

I would also look into why you are having a thermal switch problem. Is it (thermal fuse/switch) actually a bad component or is there another problem with the heater like poor airflow or something else that could cause it to overheat.

Old 02-12-20, 10:13 PM
Thank you so much for the input and suggestions. You have answered my questions, on E bay I have ordered
two N/C thermal swithces/fuses for the required temperatures. And yes the vent was clogged and cleaned now and it may have caused the problems with the fuses. By replacing both fuses, my heater is working alright now but I will be watching and alert for over heating. Hopefully I can get to use it for some more years.
Regards

Old 02-13-20, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.