Coffee maker boiling instead of pulsing

Old 02-15-20, 05:58 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Coffee maker boiling instead of pulsing

I repaired a leaking hose on my coffee maker, but now when it brews, it seems to be boiling the water continuously instead of pulsing hot water to the basket. Still makes coffee, but I am concerned it is overheating the water and may burn out. After the repair, I found a small washer on the counter that may have fallen out of the coffeemaker. I can't find a parts diagram for this Cuisinart DCC-2200, but am wondering if this washer could have been a flow control device and needs to be replaced. Seems odd that it could have just fallen out, but I can't think of another reason for the strange behavior of the water heater, unless perhaps the thermostat failed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-20, 06:12 AM
Received 193 Votes on 175 Posts
I doubt the washer is the cause of the boiling. But this type of appliance is not "repairable". Best to buy a new one. Now days their relatively cheap and reliable. Personally I like the Keurig

Old 02-15-20, 07:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 533 Votes on 490 Posts
There is a check valve in most coffee makers. Usually there are no parts that can fall out as it's usually just a ball trapped between crimps in the tubing. But, in your case make sure the ball can move around. You can also see if your missing washer fits in there and can help prevent the ball from sticking.

Old 02-16-20, 02:13 PM
M
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

Old 02-17-20, 05:04 AM
M
Fixed it! Pilot Dane was right, the check valve was in the tubing, although there was no indication of anything in the tubing until you straightened it so you could look through it. It is not a ball and seat type, and it doesn't stop flow completely in one direction, but resists flow in one direction while allowing free flow in the other. Never saw anything like it before. I failed to mention in my original post that I had reversed the tube when I re-installed it to use the good end on the heating tube instead of the cracked end, and this is what caused the check valve to function improperly, although it still allowed enough flow in the "wrong" direction to brew the coffee. Maybe there is another check valve in the outlet tube, which I never removed, to avoid risking cracking it. I did find that you can buy heat-tolerant silicone tubing on-line for about $6/ft, but of course it would not have the check valve in it, so replacing it would have created a problem. It's annoying that you can't buy replacement parts like this for some appliances, presumably because of the liability. I'm sure an appliance repair store can get them, and maybe they would sell them to individuals.