Dual capillary thermostat for beer fridge

Old 07-28-20, 11:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dual capillary thermostat for beer fridge

Hi, I need a replacement dual capillary fridge thermostat, struggling to find one (ranco K52-L2513). Why is it a twin capillary as opposed to a standard single? Can I replace it with a generic single? This is for my under counter beer fridge for my garden bar.
Regards, Dawson

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-20, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

I have no idea why your beer fridge would require a dual cap thermostat.
The specs show it used in predominantly pharmaceutical fridges.
Is that a dedicated beverage cooler or something more sophisticated being used as a beer cooler ?

There is a UK location that shows it in stock.
Ranco dual cap thermostat

Old 07-29-20, 04:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 534 Votes on 491 Posts
Why do you need a capillary thermostat? I stopped using them over a decade ago and use digital now. It is much more durable as you don't have to be careful with the delicate capillary tube. If you want to completely bypass the fridge's thermostat set the fridge to it's coldest setting or wire it so the compressor runs continuously then have your temperature controller turn power on/off to the fridge.

Old 07-29-20, 10:12 AM
D
Thermostat - dual or use standard?

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of photos so you can see. If I fit a standard thermostat, would I just omit the capillary that goes to the radiator at the rear, and just use the other capilliary tube? Would that work ok?
I donít know much about fridges, so I have no idea why it needs / has 2 capillaries. All I know is the stat has gone.
This is for my mancave / bar in the garden!

Regards, Dawson

Old 07-29-20, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Osborne is a supplier of commercial equipment.

Wow.... a pretty poor way to get rid of the heat for a better company. That plate on the back is how the fridge gets rid of the heat from inside. That same type of plate is used inside small inexpensive fridges. It's called a cold plate. It's basically two pieces of aluminum pressed together with the ridges in the middle for the refrigerant to pass thru. In most fridges it's actually an aluminum pipe.

I see a fan back there. Is that for cooling that plate and the back of the fridge is removed ?
It looks like your thermostat is setup to monitor the inside temperature as well as the temperature of the hot plate. I'm not sure why that's done like that. Possible something for a defrosting cycle.

So your going to use a thermostat with a single cap tube. You'd need to know how to wire it as there are more than two wires on your current thermostat. There again.... we don't know what the extra wire(s) is/are for.

The link is an electronic thermostat that Dane mentioned..... Ebay/UK thermostat.
There are a bunch on the page. You need to make sure it's current (amps) capacity can handle your fridge.

Old 08-01-20, 12:36 AM
D
Ok, thankyou to all for helping. I managed to order the part, £20 inc postage and it is up and running. Not bad for a free fridge. I have noticed that the room it is in warms up quickly due to the heat expelled via the fan. Cooling beer very well though.
Thanks again
Regards Dawson

Old 08-01-20, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know how you made out.