waffle maker making a mess

Old 10-04-20, 08:04 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
waffle maker making a mess

My about 10 year old eight inch diameter classic round Oster waffle maker is seldom used. Recently we've been trying to make waffles and they are sticking to the plates.

I have gently cleaned the plates with soap and water, oil the plates prior to adding the batter with no luck. Is it salvageable?

Any suggestions for a new one? I got "sticker shock" looking at some of the recommended ones.

Old 10-04-20, 08:12 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Q- Was it "non-stick" to begin with?
You can try making a thicker batter, use a microplane grater to put a bit of butter on both plates before pouring.

If that doesn't work, then you can try re-seasoning the metal with a high smoke oil like grapeseed, or flaxseed.
Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To | Sheryl's Blog

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-20, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If the iron has a good non-stick coating that usually works well. I'll give a quick spray of cooking spray before filling the iron. With a cast iron or poorer quality non-stick I season like cast iron. I've got one 40+ year old waffle iron I never clean the iron's face with soap and work to keep the layer of carburized oil in place. My new iron with fresh non-stick I will wash with a soap and sponge.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-20, 10:21 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks for your ideas. I was sooooo frustrated trying to make waffles for dinner last night. My grandson was staying with us. He is such a picky eater and has suddenly decided he likes waffles!!!!

I have decided it will be nice to get out of the house, in these times of covid, and just buy a new one. Looking forward to my exciting outing.

I will clean and "season" my old one and donate it.

Rabbani voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: