Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Small Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Toaster oven - tray touching front element "PINK" now element is at 1/2 power.

Old 11-16-20, 10:33 AM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts

Is it even worth trying to replace a heating element in a toaster oven? Are they a standard size?

I've got a toaster over, EliteGourmet ERO-2008N, nice little unit with rotisserie.

Yesterday, noticed it smelled hot. Opened it up, and a tray in the lowest slot had warped, and dropped out of the slot so that one side was resting on the front element. Immediately turned the heat off, around 60 seconds later heard the a distinct "PINK" of something breaking.

Checked it out after cooling - no obvious crack in the front element (as I've seen with range-oven elements). Both front and back elements have a similar amount of "play" (so the element is still contacting) However, NOW, the front element only heats to a dull red, while the rear element still heats to low orange as usual.

Any experience with with? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Hal_S; 11-16-20 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-20, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
Not an easy job to find parts for those imported appliances.

I would check the resistance of both elements and determine whether they are connected in series or parallel. I would also check from either end of the element to the metal case to check for leakage.

Old 11-16-20, 12:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I would use it as is until it gives up the ghost and not fix it. It's a very inexpensive appliance and finding a heating element will be difficult. It's not rocket science so another element certainly could be made to work but I would not spend any money on the repair. If it were mine I'd move it to the shop for drying paint on small parts.

Old 11-16-20, 02:05 PM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by PJmax
Not an easy job to find parts for those imported appliances.
I was counting on it being low cost AS a reason to be easy to fix:I expect it's made with VERY standardized off-the-shelf parts; hoping it will be something like "30 cm resistive heating element" that I could find in online parts.

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
I would use it as is until it gives up the ghost
That IS what I am doing for now.
I've compensated for the uneven heating between the front & back elements by repurposing the drip shield that lays directly on the floor of the toaster (under the bottom elements) and sliding it into the lowest slot (which I didn't use anyway) The elements heat the metal sheet unevenly, but conduction mostly evens out the heat front to back, it just cooks at ~75% power output.