Issues with replacement charcoal filter for GE Over the Range Micro

Old 02-21-21, 02:12 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issues with replacement charcoal filter for GE Over the Range Micro

Hello! I’m hoping someone can help me with this.

I have a GE JNM3163RJ3SS Microwave mounted above my gas range. It was all installed by my builder back in 2019.

Ever since we started cooking we noticed grease getting on the cabinets above the microwave. I never thought anything of it, just made it a habit to wipe them down more frequently.

Feeling frustrated, I decided to look at the owners manual which referenced a charcoal filter that needed replaced after 6-12 months of use. I ordered a new one (model WB02X10943, based on my owners manual).

It arrived today and I noticed it doesn’t match what is currently in my microwave. The replacement is long and narrow, the old one is shorter and wider.

What I found odd was that the manual doesn’t match up. For instance it references removing screws to access the charcoal filter, but there were no screws that needed removing. Instead stamped in the cover was text that just said “slide left” and it removed. The picture in the manual of the filter matched my current setup though. But every time I search the part # for the replacement, it matches the longer and more narrow filter.

Something else I found odd was that air seemed to be coming out of the entire opening (not just where the existing charcoal filter is). Could that be why grease is ending up on my cabinets? Is air bypassing the old filter and I should have the new one (which almost seems to fit the whole space).

One other thing to note: I never received a paper copy of the manual for my microwave. The manual I have is from GE’s website (downloaded based on the serial # I registered for my warranty upon product registration). The cover matches the model info in the microwave door though.

Does anyone know if the charcoal re-circulation filter should cover the whole opening, or just part as I currently have?

Existing filter setup with cover removed

Replacement filter based on model # in owners manual

Side by side of existing and replacement filter

Charcoal filter kit # from owners manual

Charcoal filter replacement # with instructions

Cover of owners manual

Replacement filter almost fills the whole opening

Box with part #

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: