GE Microwave Power but no Heat

Old 04-03-21, 01:26 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Microwave Power but no Heat

I have a GE over the range microwave model JVM3160DFBB that I went the whole replace the fuse a million times and the replace the door switches route with. Whenever you opened the door while the microwave was on the fuse would blow. After the door switches, the microwave was back to normal operation. After a while however, someone would forget and open the door while running. Most of the time the oven would just shut off as it should but a few times it blew the fuse. The last time, my daughter opened it and the fuse blew. We replaced the fuse and all seemed well when we plugged it back in. However, when we tried to heat something, there was no hum and it didn't cook. The timer, however, counted down. The clock ad the interior light both work, just no heat.

Before I finally bite the bullet and replace this with a different model (this is the second one - rebought it after the first started blowing fuses so as not to have to change the mounting bracket) is there anything left to test? Would a door switch cause no heating? My wife is insisting on cutting our losses but she doesn't have to install the new one!

Old 04-03-21, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Yes... a defective door switch can keep the oven from heating.

The problem is the plastic frame where the switches are mounted wears out and the switch alignment gets sloppy. It's a problem that many GE microwave ovens experience.

Old 04-10-21, 12:44 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So finally got around to taking a look at the microwave. Doing so mostly involves getting my much more agile son up on the kitchen chair to unplug it inside the upper cabinet. The plan was to disconnect each switch and test them in place (paying close attention to the middle switch which I believe is the switch for the HV circuit) and if that didn't work, removing the switch bracket and switches and bench testing (read kitchen table testing) them. We removed the screws and lifted the control panel up off the retainers and with the wires so tight there was no room to get at the switches. I turned the control panel just enough to see the back and went to start disconnecting the connectors and what do I see but the connector for the middle switch hanging there in space. It must have come off when we replaced the fuse the last time! Put the connector back on, put the microwave back together, stuck a quarter stick of butter in there that was left out and hit the Add 30 Seconds button. I was rewarded with the deeper sound of the magnetron heating and after a 10 seconds had a slightly melted stick of butter! Hurray! Back in business (for now anyway). Thanks for the replies and help!

Old 04-10-21, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: