Opening my toaster oven

Old 04-05-22, 01:25 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Opening my toaster oven

I have a toaster oven a few years old and I know I should buy a new one, but I still want to try cleaning it inside. It often shuts off before it's supposed to unless I aim a fan on it and I'm hoping cleaning it will help keep it cool. It drips grease from parts unseen.

I removed dozens of screws including two that needed a star bit. I just left some screws on the inside of the oven on the side where the controls are because the sheet metal gives when I press a screwdriver against that side and I think they probably aren't holding the outer cover on. I think maybe I'm done with the screws and I just have to manipulate it correctly. Do the latches in the photos tell you anything? Toaster ovens are openable, aren't they?

Old 04-05-22, 02:18 PM
B
Received 243 Upvotes on 216 Posts
Go onto the web for appliance parts and enter your make and model. Many sites have an assembly drawing identifying parts that may give you a clue on how to disassemble.

Old 04-05-22, 02:31 PM
B
It's a Black & Decker TO3280SSD. I'm trying to find a diagram online.

Old 04-05-22, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,480 Upvotes on 3,125 Posts
I could not find a parts listing or exploded view of that model.

Typically the bottom comes off first.
Remove screws from the back and the cover slides rearward.
B/D TO3280SSD

Old 04-07-22, 01:06 PM
B
I got it opened. When I unscrewed the back (or the bottom...I forgot) there were still sheet metal tabs that were holding it together. I finally figured out how they work. Each tab is inserted in a hole, then part of the tab is bent to anchor the tab in place. I had to wedge a screwdriver where each tab was, which straightened out the bent part of the tab, allowing it to come out of the hole. I hope those tabs don't play an important role in electrically joining the sections of the case for grounding purposes because I don't think I'll be spreading out those tabs again when I put it together.

The fan compartment and all the electronics seemed clean enough. I cleaned a totally blocked vent while the fan housing was slightly separated from the wall of the oven so the grease wouldn't fall inside. I didn't remove the fan housing totally because a heat shield was in the way and I didn't want to desolder the wires that prevented me from removing the shield, and I couldn't unplug the wires from the heating elements for some reason. I'm not sure if they were soldered on and I didn't want to force them. I'll finish reassembling it tonight,

Annoying latches seen clearly in photo to right. I don't think I'll be re-securing them when put back together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: