Electrolux Discovery II Belt issue

Old 08-07-22, 02:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrolux Discovery II Belt issue

Hi all. I've had this Discovery II since the late 80s. Been a great vacuum. Recently the belt that goes from the motor to the brush roller broke. I bought two new belts that match the model number of OEM and really it's easy to put a new belt in. But, in frustration within 15 seconds of running the vacuum on a low pile carpet, the belt slid off to the left. I took it apart, examined everything, put it back on, tried it again with the same issue. I looked on YouTube and found that what I did was correct. One thing I noticed in a parts explosion was that on some models, there is a metal clip that screws over the roller end on one side, and that part is no longer available but I don't think my vacuum ever had that part. I took a piece of nylon and cut it into that shape and screwed it onto that end and it seems to be ok BUT I'm worried that if there is sideways pressure for the belt to come off, it may be wearing heavily on the belt. I thought maybe there might be a way t increase the tension on the belt by moving the motor back a bit but I don't see slots in the mounting of the motor.

Here is a video of one of these in action at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAC_aqmJpsE

Old 08-07-22, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A model number would be helpful.
See if this is the same as yours.

If the belt sits on a flat and smooth motor shaft like seen in the video and won't stay on.... it indicates a worn motor bearing allowing the belt to pull the motor shaft on a very slight angle.

Old 08-08-22, 08:24 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I showed in a video link what a Discovery II looks like. As far as I know, that is the model. I think I resolved the problem. It is a knurled metal shaft on motor and a knurled plastic disk on brush. They are not worn out. I finally decided to loosen the two bolts that hold the motor in place and simply turn it a little bit to the left, which altered the angle enough to pull the belt toward the brush rather than to the outside. So I think I'm good now.

Old 08-08-22, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
I finally decided to loosen the two bolts that hold the motor in place and simply turn it a little bit to the left, which altered the angle enough to pull the belt toward the brush
Yes... as I mentioned.... the bearing starts to wear from the constant belt tension.
Moving the motor counteracts that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: