Microwave flash


  #1  
Old 02-17-23, 08:39 AM
2
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA near Boston, MA
Posts: 2,316
Received 394 Upvotes on 343 Posts
Microwave flash

I have a Kenmore 721.62349202 microwave oven manufactured in December 2004. Still working great.

Last week when softening several pats of butter in a glass baking dish the oven flashed. We usually cover butter when melting it in the microwave to avoid it exploding all over the inside. This time since I was only going to run it for about 15 seconds and not to full melt, I left it uncovered. At about 12 seconds the microwave flashed and I stopped it. The butter was only soft and did not explode.

Was this flash due to the uncovered butter (ionization)? Or is the microwave approaching its end-of-life?

Due to the age of the oven SWMBO has already ordered a replacement and is standing way out of the line of fire when using the oven. It has been working normally since.
 
  #2  
Old 02-17-23, 10:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 27,947
Received 2,223 Upvotes on 1,984 Posts
Do you know where the flash emanated? That would give you the biggest clue. None of the parts that can spark or flash are inside the cooking chamber.
 
  #3  
Old 02-17-23, 11:51 AM
2
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA near Boston, MA
Posts: 2,316
Received 394 Upvotes on 343 Posts
Definitely looked like it was inside the chamber in the back right corner. I believe the tube is behind that section and there are no openings there. The light is on the right near the front behind a perforated panel. The light dimmed when the flash occurred.

A couple of weeks ago there was a small flash that I attributed to a small piece of foil on the rim of a peanut butter jar. But maybe the oven is nearing its end.

The replacement arrived today and is in place.
 
  #4  
Old 02-17-23, 04:55 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,401
Received 4,047 Upvotes on 3,631 Posts
That's a Gold Star microwave made for Sears.
Typically the microwaves will arc to ground.

I don't think I've seen a magnetron short with a flash. They are pretty much enclosed in metal.
I'd imagine any internal arc would be instant death.

I have an original GE Spacemaker II from around 1985. It uses an oblong glass dish which fetches around $75 used. Mine broke several years ago. Still works cracked but is very sharp. GE microwave
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: