Question about range hood size

Old 10-17-23, 08:26 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about range hood size

My stove is 90cm width and depth/length 50cm. However my stove has a 90cm width and 60cm depth/length.
So it will be sticking out 10cm or 4 inches.

My question is: Should this be a concern? Because i imagine if only half the pans are underneath the hood at the front, it will have trouble sucking up all the vapor and smell.

Of course the easiest solution would be to simply buy one with a 60cm depth/length, but i can only find island hoods in that size. I could attach it to the ceiling near the wall, so i don't think that should be a problem. Although i don't know if the tube/pipe connected to the vent hole is still possible with an island hood, because the vent hole is not directly above my stove.

People say it is supposed to be a few inches shorter or otherwise people bump their heads during cooking. But if that is the case, then why do island hoods do come in those exact same sizes? Or are island stoves even bigger than 90x60cm?

Last edited by cementnoobie; 10-17-23 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,259 Upvotes on 2,012 Posts
Most residential hoods will only capture and exhaust a portion of what's coming up from the stove. So, your stove sticking out 4" (10cm) past the vent hood isn't the end of the world. Many people like the hood recessed so it's less a head bump hazard. And, most people don't really use a hood like a commercial chef or kitchen might.

Even if your hood stuck out as far as your stove I think a good deal of steam and vapors will not be captured. Residential hoods are designed for aesthetics and not functionality. The flat bottom doesn't capture the fumes like a commercial hood so steam will be spilling over the edges and escaping anyhow.

cementnoobie voted this post useful.
Old 10-17-23, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,088 Upvotes on 3,671 Posts
As Dane mentioned.... exhaust hoods are typically shallower than the stove so you don't hit your head. If you are serious about your cooking you can buy more powerful units that will draw out just about everything.

I have a high performance Nutone that use a fairly large motor and dual blower wheels.
The duct size is 4"x10"
It does an excellent job of removing cooking smells.

However.... this brings up two points.
This type of unit is nearly twice the cost of a basic exhaust hood.
It discharges a lot of air and as such requires a lot of makeup air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: